1920's pot crucible cake gold inside

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwbrdkllr

So, I found this old crucible way up in the mountains, it was full of gunk caked to the sides and one clearly smooth gold smear in the bottom. I figure this was a neat find and packed it out. Now, gold is getting up there and I would like an idea on how to get the gold out ,but, not destroy the crucible. (Its a handled ladle type) that I'd like to continue to use and appreciate. Problem 1. Gold bearing gunk (borax?) = heat- water- crush -filter- AR- precipitate- YAA Problem 2. gold on bottom - there doesn't seem to be any borax under the gold its plated to the crucible, what is the best method to remove just the gold? This thing is around 3#, could I just fill with AR and clean it out or what are the suggestions? Second info question in the same place I found these large green glassy chunks ( my dad called them borax emerald?) is this just really thick borax glass? their totally clear but greenish and incredibly hard hits a 8.2 on the diamond tester ( any answers) :shock: :?:

Most likely the Green Emerald,is just melted flux of some sort.
Reheat it in a kiln/furnace to 2000+ F and keep it there unil everything is white hot,and pour into a mold.Once cooled,flip the green emerald over and your values should be right there.....assuming of course that what you are looking at,is in fact gold

Latest posts

Back