4KG OF RECOVERED GOLD?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ubongrex

Hello experts in the house, I acknowledge you all and appreciate your level of knowledge. I have carefully read through Hoke's work and it's quite informative. However, I have an issue I need some clarifications. Is it possible to recover upto 4kg of gold using the processes outlined in this forum? I have a colleague who is into gold and silver recovery business but would not show anybody how to go about it. He recovers upto 4kg of gold. Recently he posted a picture of such recoveries and claims it's about 4kg, take a look at the pictures.
please12359984_793521914091544_317989355352049872_n.jpg10918528_642714205838983_381668483_o.jpg

My question therefore goes this way, if this is true, then the idea that gold recovery' doesn't yield much, is actually not realistic .TV Or is there a process this guy is using that is different? Truly I really want to know how to refine gold to yield much quantity using the best and cost effective process. Thanks a

Doesn't look like gold, not even dirty gold. Can you tell us its specific weight?

You can ask your question yourself, google the yield of e-scrap and you know how many tons of each has to be recycled to get 4 kg.

Marco P

thanks. But looks like you have an idea of what this guy is doing... please I will be privileged if you could share it with us. thanks

Looks can be deceiving and let's not immediately assume there's anything dodgy going on here guys because it colours the whole thread badly.

With regards to how much product it takes to produce 4Kg of gold that really depends upon the quality of the raw product. Some mainstream e-scrap runs at 150g per tonne which would require approx 27 tonnes and I have seen some e-scrap that would run at 4 Kg yield with less than 1 tonne of base product. You only need to look at ceramic CPU yields to back this up. Once you get to the enterprise equipment and you can be looking at even higher returns.

The "bars" shown look to have been processed by smelting something along the lines of shredded product.

So to answer the original question yes it is possible to recover 4Kg of gold from e-scrap using the processes outlined on this forum.

Hope that helps.

Jon

If there is any gold at all in those, I don't even know what to call them. Melted blobs of mostly base metals?

Your buddy is nor sharing information with you, because he obviously has no information to share. He didn't recover any gold in these melted ugly globs.

If we disregard the fact that not one glob of this material is the right color to be pure gold, and just focused on the different colors of the globules themselves, we should ask the question "If this is gold, why are they all different colors"?

Your friend is either outright lying, or has absolutely no clue about anything to do with recovering or refining gold. He's having you on to be sure.

Scott

Here's a quick and dirty test, which is ironic because it was discovered by a guy named Archimedes who solved the problem by taking a bath.

Gold has a S.G. of about 19.3, and 1000g / 19.3 = 51.8ml.
So each kg of this "golden substance" should displace about as much water as a single D cell (or 'battery').

Edit: This is a negative-only test. That is, if the weight/volume is right then it is not necessarily proved to be gold. But if it does not displace correctly, then it is proven to NOT be gold.

jason_recliner said:
Here's a quick and dirty test, which is ironic because it was discovered by a guy named Archimedes who solved the problem by taking a bath.

Gold has a S.G. of about 19.3, and 1000g / 19.3 = 51.8ml.
So each kg of this "golden substance" should displace about as much water as a single D cell (or 'battery').

Edit: This is a negative-only test. That is, if the weight/volume is right then it is not necessarily proved to be gold. But if it does not displace correctly, then it is proven to NOT be gold.
So the question now is, what is the SIZE of the scales used?

4 kilo of gold is 0.2 liter, does it look like that or more in volume?

I thought "Eureka" ment "give me a towel" in Greek...

Göran

There is one small blob in the second picture that could and I stress could be a decent gold alloy but it certainly isn't fine gold, the rest as the guys have said looks like the guy is simply melting metals from e scrap or whatever together, there could be gold amongst the mix but it certainly won't be anywhere near 4 kilos. If he is just melting anything then I struggle to see how he's making it pay, low grade bars can be a pain to process further so payouts tend to be lower and depending on the other base metals considerably lower than karat scrap.
I'm a great believer in recovery to achieve a decent return, refining on most product is a waste of time as producing high purity will not improve the payout unless you have a market for the produced metal better than what the big refining houses pay, it's possible your friend is selling those blobs on to a refiner but I bet it will be based on low returns, he may well be making money but if you could get one bar of mixed gold and silver from that mix I bet an assay would show how much value he's losing on selling as is.
If you know your way around recoveries and refining then ask your friend to give you a small percentage of the material he's melting and prove the point by showing him how much the stuffs really worth. If he doesn't want to wait for his money then I'd suggest melting all the metals together, stir it extremely well, and take a dip sample to have assayed, even if he can't pour a 4 kilo bar at least he would know what exactly he has got against what he's been paid.

Wow! thanks so much. I think I'm cool with these information. It does not even glow like gold.... got me thinking seriously... but it's all good now

It does not need much other metals to discolor gold. Only high copper content can give it its yellow color back.

Beneath you see pure gold on the left and dental alloy at about 70% gold / 5% platinum (+16 g/cm³) on the right.

Nevertheless, what your friend has made is some kind of brass (copper, zinc and other basemetals, maybe with some parts per 10000 of gold traces, if he used goldplated material.

Attachments

• dental.JPG
    dental.JPG
    101.5 KB
I have seen rather large bars made up of gold doré bars which were all small melts like shown. They were accumulated from small mining operations in Africa and sent to a collector to refine. They yielded over 90% gold and were quite easy to refine with the aqua regia process.

If it is high grade doré gold it will process nicely in a reactor like in the picture.

22 liter reactor working.JPG

This vessel will process 3 kilo's at a time. They make larger but this is the biggest that a small operator can pick up and empty by hand, if he gives you 4 kilo's at a time you can split it into 2 equal sized lots and drive the reaction harder to reduce the time required without risking boil over.

I would melt them into 1 bar and take a sample for assay.

Bjorn your post makes my point. Thanks 8)

I'm a little confused as to how one can therefore look at the metal in the pictures and say that it's merely a tiny tiny percentage of gold without knowing any more than "it's come from e-scrap." Could someone apply their science head please and take their assumptive head off and enlighten me as to how these statements can be made with credibility given the lack of facts presented.

It's been said on many occasions that we are "men of science" and in situations like this, that statement baffles me.

Edit: I've just read 4metals reply above mine that he posted as I was typing. I concur completely and still ask the question that I asked in the paragraph above.

Latest posts

Back