4KG OF RECOVERED GOLD?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the number showing on the scale, 1710, and not knowing the units it is unlikely all of the gold is showing on the scale. Scales, at least here in the US, come with 3 modes, grams, pennyweights, and troy ounces.

It obviously isn't 1710 ounces.

If it is in grams, 1710 grams is under 2 kilos.

If it is in Pennyweights 1710 grams is 2.65 kilo's.

Either way what is showing is not 4 kilo's.

I have a colleague who is into gold and silver recovery business

aha...recovery, not mining

4kg of gold.

There are 11bars on this weight, but there are more in the picture above, so I assume those to be the 4kg
assuming the bucket is a usual household bucket and this is a typical kitchen weight, those bars have a volume of 500-1000 cm³, so the metal has a density around 4-8g/cm³, typically for basemetals

90% gold dorè would have a density around 17g/cm³

in the best case it could be 80% silver and a little gold

...but until he finally measures the volume, nobody can give a more scientific answer...my two cents

4 metals

the units is in grams and this bars originate from Africa precisely here in Nigeria. The picture with the scale is 1710g about 1kg 710grammes while the other picture without the scale is actually 4kg after weighing.

4metals

If what you are saying is actually worth considering, then its easy to say that those bars actually originating from Africa just like the ones you saw could actually contain some reasonable amount of gold. What do you think?

What I WOULD say is that if it originates in Nigeria then I wouldn't be paying anything up front for this and I would be paying on results. They have college courses over there based on how to con people. Watch your back.

When you mention paying on results the sellers very often disappear.

Maybe the guy had 4kg of all gold plated pins and, due to his ignorance, assumed they were solid gold. If so, maybe he believed the old myth that all he had to do to refine it was "melt it down".

Has anyone suggested testing the bars with a drop of nitric? That would be the first thing I would do.

Ubongrex said:
Is it possible to recover upto 4kg of gold using the processes outlined in this forum? I have a colleague who is into gold and silver recovery business but would not show anybody how to go about it. He recovers upto 4kg of gold. Recently he posted a picture of such recoveries and claims it's about 4kg, take a look at the pictures.

My question therefore goes this way, if this is true, then the idea that gold recovery' doesn't yield much, is actually not realistic .TV Or is there a process this guy is using that is different? Truly I really want to know how to refine gold to yield much quantity using the best and cost effective process. Thanks a
Ubongrex, I'm going to circle back to your original post and question. When our veteran members say that gold recovery "doesn't yield much", they're usually trying to caution new members who say they've collected some old electronic scrap and they want to recover all the gold they believe is there. In that case, they are usually correct. A few computers aren't going to yield much gold. But, as several members have described, if you have enough of the right type of scrap, you can certainly recover many kilograms of gold from them using the processes described in Hoke's book and here on the forum.

I think that was what several members assumed, even though you never said this was from electronic scrap. I see in your profile that you are in Nigeria, and that these bars originate in Nigeria. It is possible there bars are primarily gold. It is also possible they are primarily base metals.

Several members have mentioned testing the specific gravity of the bars. If you can actually get your hands on one, the test can be done easily, at least for a rough result. You'll need an accurately graduated container, some water and a scale. First, weigh the bar in grams. Next, fill the graduated container with enough water to cover the bar when you put it in. Bring the water up to one of the graduated marks. Then add the bar and check how much higher the level of the water is. That will tell you the volume of the bar. Finally, just divide the weight in grams by volume of the bar in milliliters. That will give you a rough idea of the specific gravity.

So, let's say you fill a graduated cylinder to the 50 ml. mark, and when you add the bar, it raises the water level to the 60 ml. mark. The volume of the bar is about 10 ml. Let's also say the bar weighs 190 grams. If we divide the weight (190) by the volume (10), the specific gravity would be 19, which is about the specific gravity of gold. If the weight was only about 70 or 80 grams, the specific gravity would only be about 7 or 8, indicating it was mainly base metals.

If you can do this simple, quick, non-destructive test and tell us the results, we may be able to provide a little more help.

Dave

If what you are saying is actually worth considering, then its easy to say that those bars actually originating from Africa just like the ones you saw could actually contain some reasonable amount of gold. What do you think?

There are some red flags. First is the fact that the supplier is not talking or showing anyone anything. Second is from years of first hand experience, the BEST fake gold I have ever seen for sale has been from Africa. And I have seen it as bars, granules, nuggets, and even refined sponge. Their fakes looked as good as the real thing and their scam is always to get you to pay before you refine it. I have learned to avoid the entire melting and sampling process I just take a small piece and dissolve it in nitric and water. If it all dissolves it's a fake. This will also tell you if it is gold filled or plated pins melted as there will be some residue of the sample that will not dissolve in the nitric and water, that is the gold.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of gold in Africa, read this thread http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=22243 this guy is from India and he has buyers in country in Africa buying this material. Obviously real gold and also real proof that it can be done. What you would need to process 4 kg is much more modest.

Be wary of new business partners who don't want to give you the entire story. Get a sample and an assay from a reputable lab. If it is doré gold bars you can refine them and do well. The problem in Africa, it seems, is not having gold, it's selling it and converting it to currency. You will have the same issues with refined gold if you process this. If this is real and you can produce high purity gold bars, we can give you resources to sell your refine metals and teach you how to do it. First find out if it is real.

Frugal Refiner

thanks, I will give it a try as soon as I can

4 metals, OK I've noted your advice. Thanks

4metals said:
Be wary of new business partners who don't want to give you the entire story. Get a sample and an assay from a reputable lab. If it is doré gold bars you can refine them and do well.

The only problem I see with that is if the suppler is a scammer he could provide a "sample" that would assay "good" & then "sell" the larger lot that is worthless

The only way I would put my money down on something like this is to be given the entire lot - melt & pour it to one bar with a pin tube sample taken from the melt & then have that assayed & then pay out on the assay

I don't know of a single legitimate refinery that would pay me on my say of what I think is in a dore metal - or pay me on a sample of what I say represents a larger amount - or for that matter pay me on an assay of my own --- the ONLY way they will pay me is if I send ALL the dore - which THEY will assay - & then they pay AFTER they have assayed

Kurt

solar_plasma said:
It does not need much other metals to discolor gold. Only high copper content can give it its yellow color back.

Beneath you see pure gold on the left and dental alloy at about 70% gold / 5% platinum (+16 g/cm³) on the right.

solar_plasma is absolutely right - it takes a surprising "small" amount of PGMs &/or nickel to "bleach" the yellow color out of gold giving it a silver color (which is why they use those metals for making white gold alloys) other metals like silver, zinc & tin also have a bleaching effect on the color of gold but not as much as the PGMs or Ni

Nickel (as well as PGMs) will also bleach copper in the same way (very little needed to turn the copper white)

Here is a pic of some dore metal from some of my smelting - the cone of the left has a couple pounds of silver in it & other white metals & is about 69% copper --- the cone on the right however is 87% copper & 1.76% gold - it only has 2% silver 4% tin 1% lead & the remainder is Ni, Zn, & Fe so as you can see it doesn't take a lot of "white" metals to bleach the copper very near to white --- you have to get the light to hit it just right in order to see even a ting of yellow color from the copper - the white metals are only 11% of the alloy

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20151103_03_52_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151103_03_52_56_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB
When you take into account the only metals that are not silver or metallic grey in color are gold and copper, there are plenty of metals out there capable of taking that bright yellow luster off of gold.

Latest posts

Back