5500 grams gold filled

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MGH said:
Palladium said:
Question: Does anyone know why i picked a higher number than the average guess? My guess or average may or may not come close depending on how he segregated the lots, but why did i go high ( And i actually think my high number is conservatively high ). Chris is right about the average, but experience told me something different????
I don't know. To me, the preliminary numbers sound crazy high based on my limited experience, especially reading that 10 year cases are in the mix (as opposed to 20 or 25 year) and seeing the heavy wear on several pieces in the pictures. But I sure would be happy with the yield if it were my material!

My random guess why you guessed high: You see something there that indicates some solid karat gold in the mix rather than just gold filled?

It is the karat pieces. Look at the pictures real good. Those little pieces bump it up more than you would think you just have to run it to completion in ar. If you don't run it to complete completion then the numbers would be average with a slight bump and the extra gold you would have recovered will report to the residues encrusted with agcl.

That is exactly why a commercial refiner would melt and assay. I always like to know what should come out when you process it. Just a little quirk of mine.

Ralph, I don't see why you don't process the cases in dilute nitric to get rid of base metals first, it will allow you to get a cleaner silver chloride drop and the insolubles will be much higher in gold content. With AR from the get go it is a base metal loaded drop and high silver will encrust some of the pieces. So it has a greater chance of gold losses. Maybe not for you Ralph as you have been doing it for a long time and are quite capable. But for a novice, I see a potential for losses.

I do! Usually a 12-24 hour simmer in 50/50 nitric, filter residues and go to ar. Yeah that's the only way to go with gold filled!

jeneje said:
kmann1969 said:
First 1200 grams complete,yield was 48.7 grams
Wow!!! you are getting almost 4 grams per 100 grams of material. That is unheard of in gold filled. Must have been some solid pieces in it. GREAT stuff!!! :lol:

Ken

Not unheard of. 1/10 gold filled will give you just that. I believe 20-25 year cases are 1/10. Maybe higher. I took into account the weight and that there were 10-25 year cases which is why I went so high.

Palladium said:
It is the karat pieces. Look at the pictures real good. Those little pieces bump it up more than you would think you just have to run it to completion in ar. If you don't run it to complete completion then the numbers would be average with a slight bump and the extra gold you would have recovered will report to the residues encrusted with agcl.
I guess my eye is still untrained :cry: . I looked at the pictures before and after you confirmed the karat pieces and I still don't know what to look for. Any chance you could point the way for this poor unenlightened soul? :mrgreen:

goldenchild said:
jeneje said:
kmann1969 said:
First 1200 grams complete,yield was 48.7 grams
Wow!!! you are getting almost 4 grams per 100 grams of material. That is unheard of in gold filled. Must have been some solid pieces in it. GREAT stuff!!! :lol:

Ken

Not unheard of. 1/10 gold filled will give you just that. I believe 20-25 year cases are 1/10. Maybe higher. I took into account the weight and that there were 10-25 year cases which is why I went so high.
I don't do a lot of Gold Filled watch cases, most of mine is from caps on watch bands and costume jewelry. That is why I made the statement. Thanks for explaining it to me goldenchild, it does make sense that 1/10 would yield that.

Ken

If, big if, the material is plum on karat and new it should yield 5.84 grams per 100 grams if it is 1/10 gold filled,it never will be plum and even from the factory that exact so 4 grams per 100 is not too bad, I think 5 grams as new could be expected allowing for machining and polishing, the lower the gold thickness the worse the figures become, 1/20 gold filled would be below 2.5 grams even as new as the only metal subject to the manufacturing loses is the gold.
I'm with 4metals melt and assay to determine what to expect, otherwise it's all guess work especially with worn material.

Melt, assay, melt with more stuff, add copper, blow the iron into the slag, and to the cell with it!

This nitric acid stuff is for the birds! Or people who have massive scrubbers (or evidently live in the country).

A few more days of digesting, filtering, incinerating, and precipitating...large batches are time consuming. The filtering is very time consuming. Then i will have the result thanks!!

Here are some pre melt pics,there is more then the 173 grams in the 100ml beaker, There is some from other projects also.It is about 10 toz total. i will post pics after i melt also

Attachments

• IMG_7228.JPG
    IMG_7228.JPG
    633.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_7229.JPG
    IMG_7229.JPG
    507.2 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_7230.JPG
    IMG_7230.JPG
    919.8 KB · Views: 252
kmann1969 said:
Finally !! 173.10 grams final weight. I beleive Rwatson78 was the man with the closest weight . PM me when you read this

Did you first processed with HNO3, followed by AR process?

spaceships said:
Really pleased for you with these results. 8) 8)

Thank you! The absolute only reason i have learned to do this is from this wonderful forum..with out it i would be lost. Thanks Gf forum and all its contributors. Ii was thinking of visiting your neck of the woods soon on vacation,were would be the touristy places to go?

Oh that depends on what kind of touristy things you like to do!

Drop me a PM with your interests and I'll point some ideas your way.

Jon

Latest posts

Back