5500 grams gold filled

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll guess 155 grams.

I'm with Dave if I win donate the money to the forum, plus the postage would add extra costs and that doesn't seem fair on you.

Question: Does anyone know why i picked a higher number than the average guess? My guess or average may or may not come close depending on how he segregated the lots, but why did i go high ( And i actually think my high number is conservatively high ). Chris is right about the average, but experience told me something different????

I don't know the answer, but I'm all ears if you choose to share. I would guess it's based on your own experience, but I don't know why these pieces produce higher than other gold filled scrap.

If I were going to take a guess, I'd guess that while the outsides are subject to wear, the insides probably receive little to no wear of the gold layer.

I think I'll go look for some more GF pocket watch cases.

Dave

Palladium said:
Question: Does anyone know why i picked a higher number than the average guess? My guess or average may or may not come close depending on how he segregated the lots, but why did i go high ( And i actually think my high number is conservatively high ). Chris is right about the average, but experience told me something different????

That was why I didn't bet. Any bet aginst Chris is dangerous... :mrgreen:

That's ok I have faith in both of you. :p

Hey we all know it can go either way since the op gave such vague numbers of the makeup of the material.

Palladium said:
I don't know. To me, the preliminary numbers sound crazy high based on my limited experience, especially reading that 10 year cases are in the mix (as opposed to 20 or 25 year) and seeing the heavy wear on several pieces in the pictures. But I sure would be happy with the yield if it were my material!

My random guess why you guessed high: You see something there that indicates some solid karat gold in the mix rather than just gold filled?

kmann1969 said:
First 1200 grams complete,yield was 48.7 grams
Wow!!! you are getting almost 4 grams per 100 grams of material. That is unheard of in gold filled. Must have been some solid pieces in it. GREAT stuff!!! :lol:

Ken

Latest posts

Back