6' Fume Hood

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The door should never be shut while working. You need an opening to draft thru. Closing at the end of the day is good when blower is off.

I strongly recommend anyone who wishes to build a fume hood to read this.

UCBS Chemical Fume Hood Guide

Attachments

• Fume Hood Guide.pdf
    771.9 KB
So you do need a horizontal opening along the bottom of the door. Essentially the door never does shut completely. And a glass door is the proper choice.

An interesting document Noxx, Thanks.

A few more pics:

p1030298y.jpg

Notice that this frame is not touching to the ground. There is 0.5'' of clearance.

p1030304o.jpg

p1030305g.jpg

p1030308gk.jpg

The blower is ordered (Plastec30, 2HP - 2500CFM) and I ordered an AC drive to control the power.

For those who don't know, an AC drive (Variable-frequency drive) is a system for controlling the rotational speed of an alternating current (AC) electric motor by controlling the frequency of the electrical power supplied to the motor.

I bought this one:

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.196/.f?sc=2&category=32

media.nl

My blower works on 230V three phases but I only have one. Fortunately, this little device can operate on 1 phase and output 3 phases!

Very nice Noxx. The hood looks good. Where did you end up getting your blower? Do you have a link?

This "fume processor" works for 99.999% of refiners (400 oz a day or less):
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/12-Gallon-Vac/index.htm

Two plastic drums full of plastic balls and soda ash are not included in the $70 price tag. :shock:

Noxx likes to hunt flies with elephant guns. :lol:

Very nice, Noxx. Variable speed? I could have used that feature to great advantage during the winter months, when evaporating. I think you're going to enjoy the setup.

Harold

What is the maximum CFM of the blower? How expensive is the Plastec blower? I'm sure you will enjoy a long life with minimal maintenance from the blower. And once the ducting is complete, it will quiet down considerably.

Hey Noxx I wonder if that budlight can in the last cabinet pic adds to on the spot creativity :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TXWolfie said:
Hey Noxx I wonder if that budlight can in the last cabinet pic adds to on the spot creativity :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Budlight for me friend, I don't like light beer. It's a Bavaria, straight from Hungary.

4metals said:
What is the maximum CFM of the blower? How expensive is the Plastec blower? I'm sure you will enjoy a long life with minimal maintenance from the blower. And once the ducting is complete, it will quiet down considerably.

The Plastec30 blower is rated at 3500CFM @ 2HP (0'' H2O) or 2500CFM @ 2'' H2O. It is considerably more than what I need but it will also operate another hood for my propane furnace. Both need to run simultaneously.

The blower is around $1500 CAD here, maybe slightly cheaper in the US.

Where did you source the blower Noxx. If it is $1500 it is a good find for sure. NIce cfm rating as well.

I contacted Plastec and they referred me to Master. They have offices near Montréal. It was a special order and there's a two weeks delivery time.

that really is a quiet running blower, not at all what i was expecting to hear. and with the duct work hooked up i doubt you will hear that much noise.

Latest posts

Back