6' Fume Hood

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noxx said:
TXWolfie said:
Hey Noxx I wonder if that budlight can in the last cabinet pic adds to on the spot creativity :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Budlight for me friend, I don't like light beer. It's a Bavaria, straight from Germany.

I dont like light beers either they have to have a good taste to them and I will take that as a yes to the on the spot creativity ..... :lol:

Sorry for the pic quality, but here's how it looks like when I test fitted the ducting:

imag0309w.jpg

Words of advice for future fume hood builders:

Try to stick to all plastic construction materials and especially avoid wood.

Reason: Wood absorbs acids, nitric or hydrochloric, and eventually becomes extremely flammable. We had a very large fire because the wood base on 2 fume hoods caught fire just from a hot plate being close. Just the heat from the hot plates caused the wood to catch fire.

Further, a fire extinguisher was used to suppress the fire, and the user thought he had completely extinguished it so he called the fire department to cancel the fire alarm. In the few minutes it took him to do that, the wood had re-ignited and most everything in the room was fully engulfed in flames. Well over 100K in damage and we had a 10K deductible on our insurance coverage. It was an expensive way to find out.

Ever since, we have made everything out of plastic and 15 years later it is still intact. PVC, Polypropylene, FRP, all plastics work well.

Westerngs

what if the wood was sprayed with a urethane sealer
and finished with a high mil (18 - 22 mils) rubberized under coating?

Westerngs said:
Reason: Wood absorbs acids, nitric or hydrochloric, and eventually becomes extremely flammable.

THANKS for that reminder !

i'm building a fume hood workbench right now. the bottom is a heavy butcher block door, so that determined the size - 31.5" x 79" (big). i wanted something heavy at the bottom.

the fan arrangement is -
3 box fans
3 high speed vaneaxial 80 mm
1 high speed vaneaxial 120 mm

now i'm realizing the fans need to be considered relative to the fumes ... obvious to some. for the fan plenum i was going to use wood ... now it will be wood lined with plastic film. they are DC fans with a fused power supply plugged into a circuit breakered powerstrip.

the chimney is already in place - galvanized 6 inch pipe. i'm wondering about that part after reading this thread. the objective being to outwit Mr. Murphy.

I understand that wood is not the perfect material for a fume hood. However, since I do not use organic solvents, the risk of a flammable spill is non-existent. Also, all the wood is epoxy coated which means that it does not absorb chemicals.

I think your worst enemy would be HNO3 since it provides oxygen when burning. I don't see how HCl would help combustion...

I have a very important question................where the heck is your car Nic?If you sold it and bought that truck instead,I am leaving the forum for good! :cry:
I am surprised you don't own a beamer truck also?With gold plated 24" rims......just kidding you bid.Everything looks great.And I especially agree with the light comment from Harold,that is a great idea.

Don't worry Nic,I'm not going anywhere.Not unless you,or one of the mods tell me to......and even then I am putting up a fight.I have been here too many years to leave now.

slickdogg, With all that coating I would say you're ok. It will eventually wear out, so recoat every so often.

Noxx, the acids make the wood decay, making it more flammable. Both nitric and hydrochloric do this as they are both oxidizers. As with slickdogg, the coating will slowly wear away, even more so with acid spills, so recoating once in a while would be a good investment.

Just wondering if a kitchen range style hood can be used in this type of setup?? Or does it not have the right exhaust pressure? Just an idea but if I am wrong I would gladly take the criticism as constructive :)

Nope, not a good idea. Won't hold up to the chemicals and will not move enough air.

Just what I thought. Now why is it I have heard that box fans are more effective? Is it because of the fact that box fans are made of mostly of plastics or are these just isolated to halfa**ing jimmy riggers? I mean no insult by that last line.

a 20 inch box fan is in my rigged up fume hood. been 6 months and still working.it does pull alot of air but when i can, i will do a better job on it.

I had some time this week-end to finish the installation (it wasn't too cold outside but snow made the roof slippery).

Modified 10'' dia duct with spacers ready to accept the 12'' dia. rain cap.
imag0322j.jpg

Fitment is perfect.
imag0323ks.jpg

1/32'' Galvanized steel wire is used for support
imag0324y.jpg

Finished rain cap.
imag0325j.jpg

How does a tube over another tube keep the rain out Noxx? Can't tell if there is something else in the bigger tube to deflect the rain.

Smack: He says in his last post up there, he's going to put a 12" dia. rain cap over top.

Noxx: Very cool set up, and I thought I was kicking ass hand building my work bench. Hopefully someday I will have a need for such a professional hood! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back