A gallery of home built hoods and fume scrubbers _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3, 'The blue line is vacuum and is selected at the valve by the vacuum generator. Each 1/2" vacuum port needs a shut off valve and a PVC barbed fitting.' I really don't understand if this would be needed... I would be highly grateful for your response as I'm brain cooked at this point of trying to make this thing work properly.
The blue line is to use the same vacuum source to pull suction for filtration and solution transfer. The valves are needed to separate the vacuum going to the scrubber from the vacuum going to the filtration suction line (blue). They cannot be used at the same time because the vacuum is not strong enough to supply adequate CFM for both. Similarly but not shown, shut off valves should be on the blue pipe that runs through the hood where little blue circles indicate ports to install suction shut off valves. If you are using the system for filtration having one suction port in use and the other open will result in no vacuum as the vacuum air takes the path of least resistance . That is why we need valves.

Hello sir,

My mind this past week had been so clogged that I completely missed this one and now I think this is probably the closest of how I can imagine my setup to be like given what I have already built.

I do have questions here :

1, The overhead blower does not seem to be connected to the red pipes, so what is its main purposes here? the regular fumes of the hood only?
2, The red pipe does not have any suction or blowing therein as can be seen, so is the science of the entire unit being taken care of by that lone pump at the bottom right end only?
3, 'The blue line is vacuum and is selected at the valve by the vacuum generator. Each 1/2" vacuum port needs a shut off valve and a PVC barbed fitting.' I really don't understand if this would be needed... I would be highly grateful for your response as I'm brain cooked at this point of trying to make this thing work properly.

Many thanks in advance.
To simplify 4metals answer.
Both the red and the blue line is vacuum lines and the colomns are the flask train.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back