A gallery of home built hoods and fume scrubbers _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With due respect, but isn't this what we should be going after in order for increased retention
Yes but a spherical glass marble has less surface area than a structured packing like bio balls. And the surface area is what helps with retention time. Glass marbles will work if you have nothing else. I have seen whiffle balls used as well as hair curlers and short segments of PVC pipe. Just use whatever is inert and has a lot of surface area.

Marble chips are usually white, those do not appear to be marble, which is recrystallized limestone.
Yes sir, I know I have the marbles but I shared these pebble pics as Ill have to make a purchase. They come cheap. Otherwise Ill have to go miles out towards the other side of the city to get them for free..

I have seen whiffle balls used as well as hair curlers and short segments of PVC pipe.
I do have an idea of what you're saying, ive seen it too. Not as in scrubbing though but in fish tanks as bio balls.. Would these ceramic bio balls work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-10-13-23-15-27-23_f9b251d62f6eb22790b83e2e3c410dd0.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-10-13-23-15-27-23_f9b251d62f6eb22790b83e2e3c410dd0.jpg
    471.2 KB
Would these ceramic bio balls work?
The ceramic bio balls you pictured would not work well for a few reasons. First, they are porous because their intent is to have bacterial populations grow on and in the pores. What we are looking for is a non porous substrate that is insoluble and creates a large surface area for the chemical reaction to take place. The porous ceramic bio balls will not be ideal.
Yes sir, I know I have the marbles but I shared these pebble pics as Ill have to make a purchase. They come cheap. Otherwise Ill have to go miles out towards the other side of the city to get them for free..
You have the marbles or you have the pebbles which you showed in the photo? If you have no alternative I would use the glass marbles and not the pebbles. I am sure the staff at GRF feels terrible, as I do, that you may have to go out of your way to get glass marbles, but it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back