A general idea of these items worth

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darshevo

I have decided to liquidate a good portion of what I have been collecting for a future refining project. I was hoping I could get some insight on the value of the items pictured. I have a pretty good idea about a few, but have others I would really like to get an opinion from the resident experts.

I have about 1/2 a coffee can of these. Somewhere along the line I got the impression they were quite valuable, but now cannot locate the thread where they were being discussed. Most of them came from microwave tower equipment, although there is some cell tower connectors in there as well

IMG_20110629_090759.jpg

IMG_20110629_090822.jpg

These came from the same era of equipment

IMG_20110629_090913.jpg

I am guess that back planes and these connectors probably should just go in with my circuit boards?

IMG_20110629_090944.jpg

IMG_20110629_090846.jpg

Thanks in advance for looking

-Lance

I for one am not seeing where you see value in the metal connectors in the top photo. Those are steel bodied connectors, or they might be cadmium-plated brass or nickel-plated brass. Some may be silver plated. Most very possibly have gold plated center pins.

The sum total of all the other stuff you have pictured looks to me to be somewhere between 2 and 3 PC motherboards, gold-wise, but without any kind of gold-laden chips. Just pins and edge connector contacts. Unless your pix of the backplanes are representative of large quantities you are not showing in your pix, what you have there is worth well under $10 and I'm being generous. My comments are not meant to be an offer to buy nor an insult. I don't think the value of what you have pictured would cover the shipping costs to a buyer. Somebody else may have a different value estimation.

I am not an expert on this sort of scrap, but they look like gold plated telecom connector ends to me. I would say they would be a good cell project for someone. As far as the yield goes, I have not done any of these yet so I couldn't give you a clue. The boards don't appear to me to be anything special.

element47 said:
I for one am not seeing where you see value in the metal connectors in the top photo. Those are steel bodied connectors, or they might be cadmium-plated brass or nickel-plated brass. Some may be silver plated. Most very possibly have gold plated center pins.

The sum total of all the other stuff you have pictured looks to me to be somewhere between 2 and 3 PC motherboards, gold-wise, but without any kind of gold-laden chips. Just pins and edge connector contacts. Unless your pix of the backplanes are representative of large quantities you are not showing in your pix, what you have there is worth well under $10 and I'm being generous. My comments are not meant to be an offer to buy nor an insult. I don't think the value of what you have pictured would cover the shipping costs to a buyer. Somebody else may have a different value estimation.

No insult taken, that is why I posted them. I have another gaylord going to boardsort shortly and wanted to make sure none of the various pieces were anything interesting before I threw them into the mix (more room in the shop YAY!)

element47 said:
I am not an expert on this sort of scrap, but they look like gold plated telecom connector ends to me. I would say they would be a good cell project for someone. As far as the yield goes, I have not done any of these yet so I couldn't give you a clue. The boards don't appear to me to be anything special.

They are indeed plated telecom ends. The picture does not show the color nearly as accurately as it should. I think they may find themselves on ebay with one of those crazy starting prices seen in the 'best of ebay' thread eventually, just to shake the bushes :p

-Lance

Back