a little help here PLEASE

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done anything with black sands but you shouldn't mix it with the relatively simple other forms of urban gold. You are just complicating the work. Keep each type separate to process by the most effective method.

ffallan,
Greetings and welcome to the Best place on the web :p
The Stannous Chloride is “ONLY” for testing “LIQUID SOLUTIONS” for precious metals content.
Have you read Hokes book or the Gold Refining Forum Handbook volumes 1 & 2?
They contain almost ALL the information you are asking others to tell to you.
Here is an example on the stannous chloride solution.

Page 9 of the “Gold Refining Forum Handbook”
16. SnCl2= Stannous Chloride= Used to test solutions for precious metals. Made by
dissolving metallic tin in hot muriatic acid. Loses strength when stored.
Positive color test as follows:
Purple/Black color is Gold in solution, the darker the spot the more Gold.
Yellow/Brown color is Palladium in solution, the darker the spot the more Palladium.
Light/Dark Rose color is Platinum in solution, the darker the spot the more Platinum.

I haven't seen that anyone has mentioned to you to Read, Read and then Read some more. There is a vast knowledge base here to assist you as situations arise but they also expect "US" to learn the basics first.
Hoke's book IS a vast knowledge base of information just waiting for You to learn and the Forum Handbooks are full of useful information. you can download the PDF's and print what you need to keep handy.

In Palladium's signature line he has links to these useful downloads.

Tom C.

P.S. Please don't add acids to organic material (ie the concentrates) until you know all materials and how the acids will react with them. The reactions of some organic materials can KILL YOU.

ffallan,

You have jumped the horse before the sled. Next time follow the simple (short) process:

1. Damp all junk and gold below 10K into "glass vessel" and ad HNO3 + Water (50/50) and let Silver, Copper and other base metal and junk to dissolve
2. Siphon and store liquid in separate container. (You will leach Silver from there after)
3. Add AR to the "glass vessel" to dissolve remaining crumbled gold at the bottom
4. Evaporate HNO3
5. Add SMB to precipitate gold
6. Dilute Solution in step #2 with water (50/50) and precipitate Silver with Copper Wire or Pipe

There are many more mid steps you have to take, very well described in Hoke's book and on this forum. Steps above give you the logic of the process, not the instructions, do not blindly follow them.

For karat gold above 10K you have to inquart your gold before getting to step #1 or you will end up in the same situation you are now.

hello all I have a question. Whats more profitable? reverse electroplating or acid leaching? I have made quite a few purchases on ebay for gp and gf. Im currently building a case out of plexiglass and avent to extract any nasty stuff I have most of the equipment and ready to go but which one to start and rely on for some steady income? Im finding out the chemicals for acid leaching are abit on the pricy side vs the electroplating (reverse). I came here because most here are experts in this field. Thanks abunch all. :p

Profitable or economical? For the GF & GP I use the sulphuric cell; to me is more economical & faster. Go to Lazersteves website & check his videos.

Continue reading, all the answers to your questions are here. Do a search on the sulphuric cell, there's a lot of information on it.

Take care & be safe!

Phil

cashmoney said:
hello all I have a question. Whats more profitable? reverse electroplating or acid leaching? I have made quite a few purchases on ebay for gp and gf. Im currently building a case out of plexiglass and avent to extract any nasty stuff I have most of the equipment and ready to go but which one to start and rely on for some steady income? Im finding out the chemicals for acid leaching are abit on the pricy side vs the electroplating (reverse). I came here because most here are experts in this field. Thanks abunch all. :p

Before you go buy any more stuff I would sit down and read Hoke. You may find that this isn't even for you. As it stands you have a bunch of equipment that you have no clue what to do with. Slow down and do more research.

goldenchild said:
cashmoney said:

Before you go buy any more stuff I would sit down and read Hoke. You may find that this isn't even for you. As it stands you have a bunch of equipment that you have no clue what to do with. Slow down and do more research.

My experience when i was starting in this forum , i was said to read the Hokes book, my mind was full of searching data for xray flim recovering , were i couldn't find about it ,but much more about what silver is ,after a week full of reading i started using nitric acid leaching and converted silver chloride though it was a hard way , then i was helped by members to go Naoh process , which was far more easier than nitric, but without the help from forum members i wouldn't have succeeded
recovering Silver , thanks to the forum members, but reading the book and doing some home work is worth.

hmmm ok anyone have the download for Hokes book???? And trust me I have done quite abit of homework and met some chemist about this. Some see potential and some see problems. Its the acids thats alil on the scary side and I refuse to use sodium cyanide. Cant be rich if your dead! Thanks all for the great advice :p

cashmoney said:
hmmm ok anyone have the download for Hokes book???? And trust me I have done quite abit of homework and met some chemist about this. Some see potential and some see problems. Its the acids thats alil on the scary side and I refuse to use sodium cyanide. Cant be rich if your dead! Thanks all for the great advice :p

Look in the signature line of palladium or claudie for the links to the downloads
Tom C.

cashmoney said:
That a person is a chemist is no guarantee that they will have knowledge of the refining process. I dare say that the vast majority do not, and that shouldn't come as a surprise. It may be beyond the scope of the work they do. When you seek information in that regard, that's exactly the people you must talk with; refiners.

Refining isn't a matter of making a particular decision that will be applied across the board. Each type of material lends itself best to certain processes. Some of them may involve cyanide, and, indeed, there may be occasions where cyanide is the only viable process. Keep an open mind as you study, and try to learn and understand the benefits of every type of operation, so you'll be able to better judge those that will be best suited to your objective.

Harold

Harold wrote:
"That a person is a chemist is no guarantee that they will have knowledge of the refining process."

That its true; a fellow prospector I met on my one of my trips to CA. is a chemist, & the work he did was on water treatment plants. He understands the terminology & reactions when it comes to the different acids & chemicals & how they work, but he doesn't have a clue how to use them when it comes to refining PM's.

Phil

thank you all for the insight. Now this is why I came here. When I met with 4 chemists it was about safty and all the nessacery precautions I would haVe to take. Now I see why more come here than finishing dot com. I have to admit I think you are ALL right. Im downloading hoke right now. Again Thank you all.

Latest posts

Back