a new plan

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hallo Geo,

are there any new informations/findings/experiments about your leaching. Have you already tried to recover the leached gold? I am curious about that :)

I apologize about leaving this open ended. Some circumstances has developed that has put my "hobby" on hold for right now. There was an accidental shooting on my property. Even though no one was seriously injured (unless you consider getting shot in the leg serious), the city code enforcement officer has an issue with me. The road I live on is divided. One side (my side) is city and across the street is county. The code enforcement officer, I think I'll just call him Mr. Pencilneck, told me he wanted to make an example out of my property. No buckets, nothing that will catch rain, no scrap, no boards, no loose lumber and both my sheds have to go because they are in a "dilapidated condition" and are not city code compliant. I must remove all the items on his list in 30 days or a warrant will be issued for my arrest and the city will clean it up and i have to stay in jail until the cleanup is paid for.

Some of you already know some of this, but please dont be concerned, I've dealt with his kind before. I've rented a storage unit for the time being to hold all my boards, buckets and barrels. After the list is completed and he signs off on the clean up, im bringing it all back. :p I bought a metal shed from Lowe's and will wait until he's satisfied to put it up. If i have to, I'll build a privacy fence that cant be seen over. Wonder what Mr. Pencilneck will find to mess with me about next time.

Geo said:
I apologize about leaving this open ended. Some circumstances has developed that has put my "hobby" on hold for right now. There was an accidental shooting on my property. Even though no one was seriously injured (unless you consider getting shot in the leg serious), the city code enforcement officer has an issue with me. The road I live on is divided. One side (my side) is city and across the street is county. The code enforcement officer, I think I'll just call him Mr. Pencilneck, told me he wanted to make an example out of my property. No buckets, nothing that will catch rain, no scrap, no boards, no loose lumber and both my sheds have to go because they are in a "dilapidated condition" and are not city code compliant. I must remove all the items on his list in 30 days or a warrant will be issued for my arrest and the city will clean it up and i have to stay in jail until the cleanup is paid for.

Some of you already know some of this, but please dont be concerned, I've dealt with his kind before. I've rented a storage unit for the time being to hold all my boards, buckets and barrels. After the list is completed and he signs off on the clean up, im bringing it all back. :p I bought a metal shed from Lowe's and will wait until he's satisfied to put it up. If i have to, I'll build a privacy fence that cant be seen over. Wonder what Mr. Pencilneck will find to mess with me about next time.

Geo,

That is ridiculous. How can they tell you what you can and can't have on the property? I would fight it.

Thanks Mario, I've had to deal with him before. Back when I got the first couple tons of the equipment these boards are out of, he came out on a "suspected meth lab" because of all the chemicals in plain sight. He said that he did't have a problem with that (at the time) but found a list of city ordinance violations. It cost me over $6000 to bring all of it up to code. I believe he is a friend of a couple of people who live on my road that would be pleased if I could be made to vacate. When I had completed all the things he had on his list, instead of being pleased with the results, it seamed to have upset him somewhat. I may look like I'm homeless but that doesn't mean that I'm without resources. I truly feel the he was expecting me to pack up and leave. This last incident was just an excuse for him to come back here and try again. This time he's going for my extra income thinking it will make a difference. I just want to complete the cleanup on his list and be done with it (until next time).

There are people that support me in my neighborhood. There is one fellow (church deacon, retired city councilman) that wants Mr. Pencilneck's name. I ask him if he was planning on speaking for me and he said "no, I'm going up there and tell him to stop harassing you if he knows whats good for him". I may give him the man's name but that's against my principles. I really don't care too much for seeking retribution. I'm sure that Mr. Erney could cause the man some problems of his own and it's very tempting. I would only do that if he is really doing this out of malice and purely in self defense.

Geo, I am sorry you are having this kind of trouble, But I am sure you can handle it. But still it is a shame you should have to. I always figured what goes around comes back around, and they will most like get their own due sooner or later.

Hi, I'm writing for a while on this forum that I think the best.
I apologize for my English but I do not know I rely on automatic translator google.
Long story short, I did some tests using sodium thiosulfate, and I think I have good results.
Serves sodium thiosulfate, copper sulfate, ammonia and a good meter ph.6.JPG
In this picture the connector is placed at the center as a reference to show the before and after.
The connector on the left has been soaked for longer hours than the right (in fact there are still sees gold to remove).

Walter

Very nice results Waltao. I found that the tiny amount of gold left on the connector pins I tried flaked off after a couple of weeks. The pins are still silver looking but now there are some tiny gold flakes in the container.

It is in fact the result is promising.
I'm testing various combinations of solutions, but the most promising is that of this result.
And here I put the composition that gives me this result.
100cc water
6.25 grams of sodium thiosulfate to obtain 0.25 M (Mole)
1.2 grams of copper sulphate to have 48mM (milliMole)
2mL ammonia to obtain an initial pH of 10.34
room temperature
closed container
manual stirring occasionally
I do the test results of each 8/12 hours, so far I've got it all in 24/36 hours.
Now I do the test to see when the saturated solution by providing additional gold-plated components.
Here are pictures:

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 258
By the way, you should get those plastic isolations out, there is gold inside the tube, too. Sometimes you can pull them out with pliers or you just cut the whole ting half over.

I tried waltao's ratios of reagents and this leach finally seemed to work for me on a small batch of material. So I dropped everything with sodium sulfide (stinks like hell). Where to go from there? I tried something and I hope it wasn't too terrible to do. I decanted the leach and added hcl to the black sponge. I had to give it a really hard boil and what was left behind was some black powder. I'm assuming the majority of the black sponge was copper and the remaining is the gold? I will have to see what I come up with tonight.

I think sulfide precipitation might not be the best way, but since you have it, now, gold (I) sulfide will decompose at 217°C and above to Au and SO2 (-> roasting). I think I read about other methods on the forum, I just can't find them right now. Maybe it was just about smelting silver sulfide, - can't remember.

solar,

Which method do you recommend to ppt the gold after it is in the thio leach? As I understood it the sodium sulfide was used to drop ALL metals from solution and leave nothing behind. So in boiling the black sponge are you saying that the gold is now in solution? I did notice the solution is now a nice yellow color but testing came up negative with stannous. And again there is some black powder that never went into solution.

I am also still only researching all the posts about thiosulfate, but this might give you some hints for further searching: my choice would be zinc.

When you added HCl to the gold sulfide you probably produced H2S (be careful with this - poison) and your gold was left back in elemental form. Nevertheless I would heat the solids to drive off any sulfur, before proceeding.

Here I am .
Unfortunately I have no positive results at the time .
I finished the thiosulfate and I am waiting for more material , so do not do other tests for now.
This is a quick guide to what I did .
After removing all the connectors from the solution, I noticed a black deposit was formed in the bottom of the container (in theory should not be there , at least not so abundant , what is it? Certainly not gold , maybe copper).
I then added a bit of zinc powder to cement the gold and make it fall .
The next day I praised and I was left with a rich black goo .
Neither I took half and put into Hcl, in a short time there is nothing left .
Only the ' HCL had become a little yellow .
For the sake stannous test done , of course negative.
So I took the other half of mush I melted in a crucible by adding a pinch of saltpeter .
Result a black spot with no trace of gold in sight.
My considerations :
1 ) gold removed from the plating is too little to be noticed.
2 ) gold has not taken off for anything you are just blackened connectors .
3 ) What is the safe method to precipitate the gold?

However, as soon as I get the thiosulphate, I do a test with a quarter ounce of refined gold already so I'll know for sure if that is processed and there are no other interfering metals .
For the record I also tried to concrete with steel wool , but nothing has changed.

the pH was under control.
Excuse my profound ignorance on the subject but what exactly does it mean, and what is the 'acronym ORP?

Latest posts

Back