a/p questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello qst42know. the sheet says it contains DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN (1-HYDROXYETHYLIDENE), HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, SULFURIC ACID. but the bottle i have says it contains hydrogen chloride. thanks

I encountered strange thing. I changed my concrete cleaner brand as that is the only source of HCl on my side of Atlantic. I took some pins from old laptops. They were rich gold color and very small. Most of them. I put them to HCl and after about one hour I noticed 90% of them changed color to white-silver color. Before when I did that pins started to dissolve and after few days I saw only gold foils floating. What do you think is that some form of precipitate on them or gold plating disappeared? There is no change in color in liquid just pins turned silverish. I will try introduce some H2O2 in liquid.

Patnor,

There are various chemical inhibitors that are commonly added to HCl (or, other acids) to greatly slow down or stop the attack on different metals, such as steel or copper. These are usually organic materials that put a coating on the metal. I would not be surprised if the product you bought contains these. Here's an example of one of these products.
http://www.cpindustries.ca/industrial-food-processing/food-beverage/meat-processor/acidiccleaners/inhibitedmuriaticacid/

This is one of the pitfalls of using products that are designed for another application. I remember some people having problems with sulfuric drain cleaners that contained inhibitors, when using them in a stripping cell.

Look on the label for long organic names, although they may, or may not, be listed on the list of ingredients, even though they are present.

The addition of of a little strong H2O2 might break down the organics and render them inactive. However, this may also be enough H2O2 to dissolve the gold foils

Thanks Chris,
That will be the case. I just jumped on that because of price. :)
However after checking label i indeed says that it contains "special surface agents coupled with a unique acid inhibition" I think that I will stick with my regular proven products.

You were right. I took them out, washed several times with water and played with torch over them. They were nice and yellow shiny again. That teach me something new again. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back