Abrasive Mill

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your gold will be in the mud, process as you would jewelers bench sweeps.

Surprisingly its rather easy to filter, the only solvent used was tap water.

Total cost of the build was the purchase of the Gorilla adhesive, less than $20.00

This concludes my participation in this thread, the abrasive mill in my opinion is a success.

sweep1.jpg

Last edited:
This is nice man! If you decide it works well enough to build an upgraded version (bigger and more power) I have a really nice 110/220 power supply with control knobs on it that controls the speed and torque of the motor. It's for sale but I would give you the deal. Anyways, I would love to see a video of this in full operation start to finish. I am really interested in yields. Keep thinking outside the box my friend.
Screenshot from 2022-11-07 15-36-39.png

HCL wash, rinsed and dried 159.7 grams from less than half a 20 liter pail.

Gold, palladium. silver with perhaps a bit of lead expected on the final refine.Edit

pail.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the palladium was easy to extract.

My palladium is splitting water, oxygen bubbles.

palladium.jpg

Bottom dregs, palladium with a bit of gold.

Plastic tub tare weight, 18.1 grams
Palladium Net, 33.5 grams

pd1.jpg
pd2.jpg

Where did that Pd come from?
Probably off of the ram fed through the paper shredder and some from mother boards.

Inside Ethernet metal case, and under the cpu.

I use a small hatchet to depopulate onto a large metal sheet, just pick out aluminum caps and small transformers. and heat spreaders.

Most of the palladium with a trace of gold stays on the bottom of the rinse water bucket.

Me and the woman are going on a couple of dump runs, if I have the time will post on something new I want to try.

Muriatic 4 liters $22.99 Canadian, just placed and order for nitric, waiting on the invoice.

Below is the reply I received from my supplier, its a good thing the value of gold has also increased.

I will send you a quote as soon as I get the freight rate. The acids have gone up considerably since you have ordered.

Probably off of the ram fed through the paper shredder and some from mother boards.

Inside Ethernet metal case, and under the cpu.

I use a small hatchet to depopulate onto a large metal sheet, just pick out aluminum caps and small transformers. and heat spreaders.

Most of the palladium with a trace of gold stays on the bottom of the rinse water bucket.

Me and the woman are going on a couple of dump runs, if I have the time will post on something new I want to try.

Muriatic 4 liters $22.99 Canadian, just placed and order for nitric, waiting on the invoice.

Below is the reply I received from my supplier, its a good thing the value of gold has also increased.

I will send you a quote as soon as I get the freight rate. The acids have gone up considerably since you have ordered.
So this abrasive mill of yours actually grinds MLCCs and other components to dust?
Interesting :)

So this abrasive mill of yours actually grinds MLCCs and other components to dust?
Interesting :)

Is there any reason they would not turn to dust.

From post number 3 in this thread.

Lots of low grade pins that I would not otherwise bother with are going into the mill.

A quote from lasersteve,

The proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:
Is there any reason they would not turn to dust.

From post number 3 in this thread.

Lots of low grade pins that I would not otherwise bother with are going into the mill.

A quote from lasersteve,

The proof is in the pudding.
I was thinking that since it was mainly for grinding off plating,
it would not have time enough to grind component down other than the surface that is.

Not sure why she was concerned about the price increase, shipping was double the cost of my purchase.

After placing a call, yea I'm shocked, that price 77.00 is per 2.5 liter bottle.

Canadian funds, 4 x 2.5 liter nitric.

NI7110-2.5L 1NITRIC ACID ACS 69 - 70% 4/CS 77.00

Last edited:
I was thinking that since it was mainly for grinding off plating,
it would not have time enough to grind component down other than the surface that is.
Larger caps will be laying on the bottom of the rinse tub, incineration takes care of those.

Small caps the size of fly shit do not withstand physical abrasion.

cap1.jpg
cap2.jpg

Yikes, at $491.30 with shipping on 4 x 2.5 liters of nitric, I need to use it sparingly.

I did make the purchase, but also intend to change my game plan.

10-Nov-2022Interac eTransfer Outgoing To: Alphachem
Reference Number 20221110080949666939
-$254.30
10-Nov-2022Interac eTransfer Outgoing To: Alphachem
Reference Number 20221110072533666512
-$237.00

In theory the vibration would seperate the material according to specific gravity.

This prototype is much too aggressive, perhaps less water would keep the mud from churning over.

Maybe a dimmer switch to slow the motor down, perhaps to much spring.

Fan motor from a fridge, cut off all the blades but one.

Caution turn your sound down.

vibe.jpg

Anyone see the problem with my vibratory separator. Why the heavies are not setteling onto the bottom.

Anyone see the problem with my vibratory separator. Why the heavies are not setteling onto the bottom.

Maybe try a funnel instead of a flat bottomed container. A funnel will also fit into the pour hole on the bucket lid.
I would think the heaviest material would go to the bottom and stay there, the flat container gives the material way to much room to move around.
Test it with different speeds and different amounts of water

Back