After dropping AU

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seawolf

After I drop the gold from HCL/Bleach with SMB is there a further use for the now clean liquid? Or do I take it to a disposal site to drop any heavy metals and have it processed and disposed of legally?
If it can be reused what are the steps to recover the HCL?
Thanks, Mark

Before you do anything else with it, stannous test the solution for any pm's that might be left in it, if you haven't done it yet... 8)

Now use iron to drop metals below it (iron) in series, then let settle, decant liquid from metal powders, now treat liquid with hydroxide (or wood stove ashes) till pH about 9, let powders of metal hydroxide settle, the salt water is now safe to dispose of.

read the post on treating waste, this is very important to refining, as improper waste disposal can cost us more than any gold we may see.

Hi Butcher!
I'm filtering solutions after iron treatment & stopped because I ran out of lye. Thanks for bringing up the woodstove ashes! I'd forgotten about it.

Now I can finish the treatment.

Phil

With all the wood ash I generate have to do something with it. I usually leach my ashes with rain water filter the charcoal, and use this caustic water.

seawolf---

After dropping Au, I would hang a piece of copper in the leftover solution for a few days, and see what precipitates.

Then decant the solution and put one or more large nails in it to drop any copper.

Then decant that remaining solution and neutralize it as butcher described.

Unless you are totally sure that there isn't any other forms of PMs or copper in it.

eeTHr said:
Unless you are totally sure that there isn't any other forms of PMs or copper in it.
That's what stannous chloride is for.

Harold

Latest posts

Back