Another odd reaction... Distilled water into silver nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And by "scrap" he means "process it chemically if you want your silver back", but that could be difficult if you're not buying acids ;)

(edited for clarity)

Whoa ! I was looking at this with my phone and now i'm at my desk. Is that a piece of iron your using for an anode stick! Looks like a screwdriver!

Ok here is where we are at...

I changed the anode bar, and it still was very stringy tree like growth...

Added about 20ml of nitric just to see if it would have any effect...

I changed back to the smaller 1L bowl that I had used before to see if its the new bowl, used the top up supply of electrolyte...

Will update in a couple of hours...

edit: added content

And by "scrap" he means "process it chemically if you want your silver back", but that could be difficult if you're not buying acids ;)

I have to buy in large quantities so it gets quite expensive, nitric is enough at almost $100 a gallon, and I still have over a gallon left and its quite a distance to go and get it...

All you need to do is empty the cell and drop the solution with copper. Melt into shot and make a new solution. Only nitric you will need is to make up a new solution. 300 grams x 1.2 = about 350 ml of nitric give or take to start over.

Im going to stay the course for another day or two...

Im only running the cell a few hours a day but already its looking much better, forming good solid crystals slowly, unlike the other bowl I was using.... Im going to investigate as to what is different with the 3L bowl, its non magnetic except the rubber base, thought it was a weight in the bottom... The silver strands did not come away cleanly from the sides... going to have to scrape all of it pretty hard or possibly dilute some nitric and dissolve it...

Learning curve is large on this run, I am glad for this education and the assistance from this wonderful forum!

Latest posts

Back