Anyone know how the Shor Simplicity System works?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g_axelsson,

I completely missed that that site name is ganoksin------------thanks for catching that! :oops:

I've never used Luer connectors before, and will need them to attempt to duplicate Palladium's 2-tank
fizzer cell. I have been looking around the web tonight at Luer fittings and connectors, but there are so
many types that I haven't been able to figure out which would be the correct ones to use to connect
1/4" plastic tubing between 2 plastic buckets, with an inline filter.

So, I'm definitely open to suggestions and advice.

Cheers,

Mike

I'm also wondering if Tin (as in i.c. chip legs, or IDE socket pins) would clog up the electrolyte?

Tin and Lead appear to be arch enemies of refining solutions.

Cheers,

Mike

Having now reread the 2 Shor patents for the Simplicity refining system, with it having been 3-4 years since
I last read them, several things stand out to me:

I had read those prior to joining the GRF. This time around, I understood everything written in those patents,
which was really fun.

The optimum solution temperature for the Sodium Chloride is 180F. For Ammonium Chloride it is 160F-180F.
However, Peter Shor did mention that the process will also work at ambient temperatures.

Regarding fouling of the pores of the Coors cup that Shor uses, it was mentioned that as the pH of the NaCl electrolyte
rises due to the formation of NaOH, undesirable Hydroxides are formed that can foul the pores of the cup.
The second patent recommends maintaining a pH of 1.0-7.0.

However, the first patent was initially designed to be a NaCl and HCl electrolyte mixture, which would have kept the pH
below 7.0, and sure sounds a lot to me like the approach to using another halide, Iodine, specifically Povidone,
which from what I've read works better with HCl added, and a certain pH level maintained.....

Reading between the lines, it appears to me the exclusively NaCl electrolyte route might have been taken for marketing
purposes, so the device (cell) could be advertised as operating with no dangerous chemicals.

The move to a mostly Ammonium chloride electrolyte in the second patent was to prevent coating the Gold anode
with a film of AgCl, which severely decreased the efficiency of the reaction, a problem with the NaCl electrolyte.

Shor also found that when there was more than 2-3 oz. Au dissolved into a gallon of solution, the process became
ineffective.

So, I'm thinking if I run small amounts of Au like Palladium has done, monitor and maintain the electrolyte pH at 6.0
by the addition of very small amounts of HCl, I should be able to use NaCl as the electrolyte with very few problems.

If the Au anode does become coated with AgCl, just how tough is it remove? Can it be brushed off with a stiff
toothbrush, or does it need to be scraped off?

Cheers,

Mike

I have decided to build one of these per Palladium's diagram. It is inexpensive and I should be able to run it in the back yard without much trouble (ie. neighbors). I have sourced the syringe filter. My question is this. The filter requires 1/8" tubing. Is that adequate or should it be a larger diameter? I plan on using two.

hello all, apologies for the long absence. i myself have been looking into this shor system. from what i can see, it does work, but LIKE HELL will i pay that much for it. especially when i can, with resources like this forum available to seek help and advice from, go to lowes and/or wal-mart and BUILD one myself for a whole lot cheaper.

now i may, admittedly, not be anywhere near and expert here; but damn. all you need to do is surf the net a little bit, do some research and you can find all you need to build it your own self. even tweek the process, or so i suspect, at a point when you have enough knowledge and experience to do so.

shor has a vid of the system on youtube and it shows the whole thing off. well, to an extent. i daresay that the shor system is for stary-eyed dreamers looking to make a buck. why would it be priced so high otherwise?

and the repleacement parts for it on the website, site: you can find the components from other sources for a fraction of the price. its crazy.

Latest posts

Back