AP white powder question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After long last I've got some pins into a AP solution.Lowes Muratic with 3% peroxide.
Well there are gold flakes swirling around (gold snow globe 8) )
But now collecting on the botton is an off white "powder"
What could it be.
And after it is all said and done it looks like I'll have this white powder and gold foil.
Suggestions on getting rid of the power(i'm thinking its a base metal)
BTW the pins were silver looking,coming from old cable boxes in the smart card area.
One last question I'm trying to involve the older kids on whats going on(hands on science)
Is there some where that diagrams whats going on in the AP solution and later when its time we make Auric Chloride.
Thanks everyone involved in this wonderful site, and Merry Christmas!

Urban prospecting, gold in sight all day long :)

you are correct.
it is copper | chloride that is coming out of the AP dou to saturation of the solution , the AP by now is very black...
a few HCL washs later on will dissolve them , leaving you just with gold flakes/foils

It is copper I chloride and dissolves easily in HCl.

There is a very comprehensive AP document on my website in the documents section.

Steve

Thank you so much for the advise, so much to learn, so little time.
Steve I was reading somewhere on this forum about some being giddy watching you videos.
LOL oh yea the Auric chloride one, some about gold going into solution....
Anyway my question for you Steve is, what more is on your AP DVD that you offer?
How long is it?

I need to put an order in sometime soon and as much as I'd like to buy about everything you offer, I can't all at once.
Thank you Steve for all the info you have shared( i know there are lots of others) but I have made myself your apprentice for now.
One last question for all, where can I find the chemical equations(right term?)for the AP And Au I Cl ... SMB..... what is chemicall going on here?
Thanks agian.
Heaven's Pavement.
Urban prospecting...gold insight all day long :)

The AP DVD organizes the website videos related to AP in a systematic sequence from harvesting to button with all steps in between. I've included it in chapter format with short summary screens on each step at the beginning of each chapter. The DVD runs over 1.5 hours. Most buyers find it's easy to follow and like the ability to pause the video on their set top players.

The Gold Filled DVD is composed mostly videos that are not posted on my website. The processes on this DVD demonstrate techniques that apply to all types of scrap which AP has problems with (gold filled, some cpus, and inquarted karat gold). It's total paly time is also right around 1.5 hours.

The Platinum DVD is composed of mostly videos that are not on my website. I demonstrate two techniques for harvesting catalytic converter scrap and many techniques specific to refining all types of Palladium and Platinum scrap. Melting is included, as well as all steps in between. Total play time is around 1.5 hours.

The other questions you asked have recently been answered and can easily be found by checking my recent posts. If you click on the Guided Tour Link in my signature line below you can find lots of answers there.

Steve

Latest posts

Back