Aqua Regia method & Gray Ag powder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your "shotting" method sounds excellent. I've always known about metal atomizers, but they are expensive. Your method is simple and isn't expensive to set up. Anything to get small particles is good. Sure makes dissolving go faster.

A long time ago, I was able to get comparable particle sizes using another simple method. I whittled a wooden propeller about 5 inches long, drilled a hole in it, mounted it on a threaded rod, and chucked it into a drill. I poured the molten metal directly into the turning prop, which was several inches below the water level.

BTW, in my experience, the silver chloride residue from dissolving karat gold is never lily white. I would put it in the "gray" category.

Manuel,

An interesting approach and one with value to karat refining. I'm going to have to experiment with it. If I make a lot of karat scrap with say 10+ % silver in the alloy and divide it into 2 lots I should be able to recover more gold if the acid is saturated with salt than in straight aqua regia. Actually an easy concept to test. Now all I need is more time to play and less time working.

Ok, so here's how our first two batches went yesterday.

The Kayro method is messy and dfficult to filter. The particles of silver are very fine. But I have to say is was successful.

The other method is a no-brainer. Really. There's next to no labor involved. It can take as long as it needs to complete the conversion. And I can only imagine it's got to be easier to filter when complete. Here's how it looked at the end of the day today.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3358180/AgCl to Ag.jpg

There is a layer of darker gray unconverted chloride laying on top of the lighter gray Ag. I'm expecting this to all be the lighter color tomorrow as in Steve's video. This was 500 grams of chloride to start.

Until we can fine tune our system to not produce AgCl we will maintain all our AgCl in a wet state until we are ready to convert. Then we will pour of the water and replace with our dilute sulphuric solution, adding more sulphuric as needed, to complete the conversion. This will be our method of choice for now.

Thanks for suggesting these methods guys. I've learned much already.

8)

Scrapper-aw-:

You have to learn some tricks about this business...here is the first one:

About Karo syrup method run the process until you get the white clumps of silver chloride,then wash the silver chloride three times,the last one with hot water.This will complete settle down the white mud.Now start adding sodium hydroxide,the white mud will change to black,continue adding lye until you insert a rod and do not see any white grain...this is the proof about all silver chloride has reacted to silver oxide.

Well,add Karo syrup and stirr well...you will get a very fine silver powder which is hard to precipitate.Add some hydrochloric acid,stir for a while,pour off the solution,again add to the green/grey mud some hydrochloric acid,add water,stirr well and you will see that the green/grey mud settles down pretty fast.Now you can continue washing the pure silver,before stirring all the mud settles down in 15 seconds.

ASAP in going to post,step by step,the method to convert silver chloride into metalic silver using sodium carbonate and melting.

Regards.

Manuel

Hi
I couldn't find information about recovery silver from residue of aqua regia which contains gray silver chlorides and other metals and impurities

I am a fan of dilute sulfuric acid and nails method for converting silver chloride

1- Can we use this method for residue of aqua regia ?
2- What is the process? Just add sulfuric acid and nails > wash and dry > melt > silver cell
3- Do we need incinerate step? Or washing step before conversation silver chlorides step?

Hi
I couldn't find information about recovery silver from the residue of aqua regia which contains gray silver chlorides and other metals and impurities

I am a fan of dilute sulfuric acid and nails method for converting silver chloride

1- Can we use this method for the residue of aqua regia?
2- What is the process? Just add sulfuric acid and nails > wash and dry > dissolve in nitric?
3- Do we need incinerate step before dissolving in nitric? Or washing step before conversation silver chlorides step?

1. Yes, but use clean and as pure of iron as you can get (personally I would use cut up transformer iron laminates with no rust, and the varnish burnt off and washed off)...

2. Let us assume we have silver chloride, mixed with powders of lead chloride, sodium salts, copper(I)chloride, gold chlorides, lead sulfates, maybe even a few bugs that made it into our filtered residue.

keeping this material wet or damp is an important step, (with low light can also help if storing).

We can clean up the material some with water washes, washing away excess acids, and soluble metal chlorides.

Sodium chlorides solubility does not change much with water temperatures this metal salt will dissolve about the same amount of water in the cold or hot washing of the powders.

While on the other hand with boiling hot water washes we can dissolve more or other metals that do not dissolve easily or as much in the cold water wash, lead chloride is very soluble in hot solutions, which much of the lead chloride would precipitate from this wastewater solution as needle-like crystals upon cooling ( allowing us to be able to reuse this cooled and decanted solution by reheating it to dissolve more lead chloride in proceeding washes (to lower how much toxic wastewater we have to generate to deal with...

Silver chloride is not soluble in hot or cold water washes (or in acids).

If much copper (I) chloride is involved, washing in HCl will dissolve it to CuCl2, followed by water washes to remove free acid or other soluble chlorides...

Now say we used the dilute H2SO4 and Iron nails on the insoluble silver chloride metal salts, to convert the silver salt to metal, 2AgCl + Fe + H2SO4 --> 2Ag + 2HCl + FeSO4, and wash away the soluble hydrochloric and iron sulfate solution from our insoluble powders, followed by water washing of our powders to wash away as much soluble chlorides sulfates and free acid...

Upon slow drying and slow heating of these powders, different gases become volatile, first with water, (nitric if involved), HCl, last to go would be sulfuric, slow and careful heating bringing temperatures up slowly and holding them until they do the work, you can drive off most acidic fumes without metal loss of your washed powders.

Some acid or remaining salts can fuse, and need further heating to drive off the acids or convert the salts of this fusion, slowly raising the heat, sir as needed so as not to fuse a hard to break cake, until you can crush the lot to powders again, bringing the crushed powders to a red-hot glow in air can burn off remaining acid salts, any remaining sulfuric or sulfate salts volatile metal oxides, aids in converting any base metals to oxides, (like the lead sulfate converted to lead oxides) , burn up the carbon (bugs filter paper).

Leaving us with the silver powder you can dissolve in HNO3, or used to in-quarter karat gold, or to be saved for the silver cell...

3.Maybe this can be answered by reading above?

Latest posts

Back