Aqua Regia?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambskin

I have a quick question. Will I be able to use 50% nitric acid with 35% muriatic acid to make aqua regia or will I have to purify the nitric acid to 70%. Also would i still use the same ratio 1 part nitric to 4 parts muriatic or will I have to adjust the ratios because of the purity of the acid? I noticed in one video I think it was from goldnflake on the forum that he added muriatic acid and then just added nitric till a reaction happen with the gold. I searched high and low for an answer to this and havn't been able to find one.

You can use 50% it will just take you a little more of the nitric to get the job done. When you do your calculations on the nitric to use, start with about 20-25% of what you are expected to use and then make small additions as necessary to complete the job. Heating and stirring your solution will be a friend of yours as well.

A liter of 50%, by weight, contains 655 g of nitric. A liter of 70% contains 989 g. Therefore, it will take 1.51 ml of 50% to equal 1 ml of 70%.

Back