AR Acid Calculator

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
butcher said:
wow sounds like alot of work to make that tool work :shock:

:shock: :evil: :lol: :evil: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: is normal.

just to do the small one ive spent over 15 hours on it. quite frankly, 70% of the work has been done for the formal one already. i will be making it no matter what, as i hate doing math on paper. i estimate about 100 hr give or take to make it work bug free, so i should have it done by the end of the month. or at least in beta-testing. just waiting on the 2 books now. should have them next few days + about 3 days study time = plenty of time to get it done.

its really not that bad, using VB6, being that its math oriented makes it very simple. the hardest part is the ADO programming, which ive never used before & is were i am at now.

ADHD + ability to focus = A beautiful thing. :wink:

the computer stuff excapes me also, but I can understand some of what he is trying to get done, and I know how hard it can be working the bugs out of something your building.

butcher said:
the computer stuff excapes me also, but I can understand some of what he is trying to get done, and I know how hard it can be working the bugs out of something your building.

you aint kiddin. my biggest bug right now is converting dwt to grams and i know it is simple. 1g = 0.643014931 dwt, 1dwt = 1.55517384 grams & 20 dwt = 1 troy oz. but for some reason im just not getting it right. i think im just going to re-write that entire codeblock. grams & troy oz works great, and when i throw in the dwt, only it is wrong.

i should have it to Noxx sometime tomorrow in the afternoon.

IGutYa said:
butcher said:

you aint kiddin. my biggest bug right now is converting dwt to grams and i know it is simple. 1g = 0.643014931 dwt, 1dwt = 1.55517384 grams & 20 dwt = 1 troy oz. but for some reason im just not getting it right. i think im just going to re-write that entire codeblock. grams & troy oz works great, and when i throw in the dwt, only it is wrong.

i should have it to Noxx sometime tomorrow in the afternoon.

24 grains = 1 dwt
15.432 grains = 1 g
troy ounce = 480 grains
troy pound = 12 troy ounces
troy pound consists of 5,760 grains
avordupois pound = 7,000 grains
avoirdupois ounce = 437.5 grains
31.10348 grams = 1 troy ounce

I refined for many years. I would have been lost without the use of grains. I had no interest, then, in grams, just as I have no interest, now, in grams. Historically, precious metals have been weighed in troy ounces.

Harold

I've been using ADO professionally for going on 10 years what do you need help with? My day job is a programmer for the local government.

Steve

lazersteve said:
I've been using ADO professionally for going on 10 years what do you need help with? My day job is a programmer for the local government.

Steve

well to say the least, ive never used it before.

keeping everything inside the program is making the code bulky & hard to work with. ive used collections in the past, but they too can be a pain. plus all the info that will be created by the program that i would like to be able to store in an orderly manner.

every example of how to use it is different. i should probably watch a few utube vids on ADO too. just dont understand it and i'm trying to avoid using dependency files too.

Harold_V said:
I refined for many years. I would have been lost without the use of grains. I had no interest, then, in grams, just as I have no interest, now, in grams. Historically, precious metals have been weighed in troy ounces.

Harold

Thanks for the info, i would have never knew. i wet with grams as i was familiar with them, but kinda jacked things up. half the math is in gram, half in troy oz. i really think that is where my problem is stemming from. ill convert over to the gran standard & that should fix things up.

IGutYa said:
keeping everything inside the program is making the code bulky & hard to work with. ive used collections in the past, but they too can be a pain. plus all the info that will be created by the program that i would like to be able to store in an orderly manner.

every example of how to use it is different. i should probably watch a few utube vids on ADO too. just dont understand it and i'm trying to avoid using dependency files too.

The key components you will need are a back end database and a few parametrized stored procedures, on the front end you'll need a connection string stored and a few record sets bound to your form controls for selecting the various values.

Steve

lazersteve said:
IGutYa said:

The key components you will need are a back end database and a few parametrized stored procedures, on the front end you'll need a connection string stored and a few record sets bound to your form controls for selecting the various values.

Steve

really i think i just need some good database programing skills. after looking into it ado is more of a network type database, i just need a local db. something to store program info & calculations in an orderly fashion.

IGutYa said:
really i think i just need some good database programing skills. after looking into it ado is more of a network type database, i just need a local db. something to store program info & calculations in an orderly fashion.

Then you'll need to dynamically create the tables and fill them using arrays of your data variables. The only other way to do this and keep everything contained in the exe is to setup a local (ie SQL express) database as part of the setup process of the software. Then the software in the exe connects to the local express instance and pulls the data/calculations you want. With this method updates will become a real problem as well as platform specific issues and local machine hardware variations.

Now you are beginning to understand why one centralized web page with a back end web tied database is much more versatile and geared towards distribution to the various platforms out there (MAC, handhelds, Unix flavors, Microsoft, etc.). This way you can do all of your future maintenance on the software or database and your users are none the wiser. They don't even have to keep installing your new versions, they just return to the same site and they will get the updates upon returning. The flexibility of web based apps is the cats meow for this type of project. This also provides you a centralized database for all of the data to drive the app.

Part of my programming job entails administering and maintaining 2 separate 2005 SQL Enterprise clusters serving data to thousands of users and nearly a hundred different apps via both local and web platforms.

Does your hosting service provide IIS services and a SQL db?

If you need detailed help then we should talk via email:

[email protected]

Steve

Zack,

This is a double post, I've been deleting the second one to keep the forum from becoming any more jumbled. If you want put a link to the first post of the same material here to redirect the users to the proper thread.

Thanks,

Steve

lazersteve said:
Zack,

This is a double post, I've been deleting the second one to keep the forum from becoming any more jumbled. If you want put a link to the first post of the same material here to redirect the users to the proper thread.

Thanks,

Steve

oh crap haha. sorry. i thought it didnt post for a moment. well here is the link to the other post in Data: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7012

Is this figured out yet? Like Steve I too am a software engineer for the US government. Is there another language you could use to make this app? I could help you if you were to use ColdFusion .NET or javascript. Mind sending me the block that is doing your calculations? You got me wanting to create a little app now :lol:

goldenchild said:
Is this figured out yet? Like Steve I too am a software engineer for the US government. Is there another language you could use to make this app? I could help you if you were to use ColdFusion .NET or javascript. Mind sending me the block that is doing your calculations? You got me wanting to create a little app now :lol:

here is a link to the SRC code: http://www.mediafire.com/?nvojzcnhwgj

Enjoy!

here is a link to the SRC code: http://www.mediafire.com/?nvojzcnhwgj

Enjoy!
didnt let me download anything. said cookies needed to be enabled but i'm not blocking cookies

Latest posts

Back