AR metod for Ceramic CPUs...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Geo said. I see no mention of testing, to assure you have gold in solution.

I used ferrous sulfate for the first several months that I refined. It works perfectly well, and exactly as Hoke suggests, assuming you have followed her instructions correctly. If you are unable to precipitate gold, two reasons come to mind. One of them is you have no gold in solution. The other is that you have not eliminated nitric acid, and you may have a huge excess present. That's common with those that are not familiar with its use. Many have the idea that if a little is good, more is better. That is not the case with AR, which should be used sparingly, along with heat, when dissolving values. If you failed to do that, you most likely have used far too much, and have not evaporated enough.

Begin your search by testing your solution. If you have an excess of nitric present, you may have too much for your stannous chloride to provide a reliable result. Watch the test closely, using a drop of solution in a spot plate cavity, or, in lieu of a spot plate, a white plastic spoon. Add a drop of stannous chloride and watch closely to see if a purple/black display develops, but is quickly lost. If that be the case, it's a sign of excess nitric. If you get a thin result, allow the test to remain for several minutes, then rinse the test with a wash bottle. If you have gold present, you should have a purple stain remaining where the test stood.

Make sure your stannous is active. Test with a gold standard solution.

H

Hi SasaK.

I can see on the CPUs name Byte d.o.o. - are you from Croatia? If so can I ask where did you buy your nitric acid? Im from SLO and its VERY expensive here :cry:

Greetings,Simon

Hi.

I just did the stannous chloride test, and it turn very dark purple. i even go buying some urea to assure the nitric acid is eliminate. But as soon as i mix the ferrous sulphate, water and hydrochloric acid, it turns a muddy green colour, and when i throw it into the AR, it stays that way. It dont become clearer after a while.

Johan

Hi

I just did the test Harold was giving, putting a drop of it on a plastic spoon. It turns purple immediatly, but it faded away after a while. I did the test again with the batch that i treated with urea to remove the nitric acid, and when i put a drop of stannouse chloride on it, there was no reaction. Does this mean there is no trace of gold. Thank you very much for all your help so far.

Python said:
Hi

I just did the test Harold was giving, putting a drop of it on a plastic spoon. It turns purple immediatly, but it faded away after a while. I did the test again with the batch that i treated with urea to remove the nitric acid, and when i put a drop of stannouse chloride on it, there was no reaction. Does this mean there is no trace of gold. Thank you very much for all your help so far.
If you added urea, then tested and didn't get a purple reaction, it's most likely the urea bound the nitric acid and permitted the gold in solution to precipitate. If you didn't have much gold, it may not be evident that it happened, but the solution will have clouded up a little. Depending on how fine the gold precipitated, it may take several hours for it to settle. Look closely at the solution and see if you can see a layer that is clear, with a cloudy layer below. If you do, that's the gold settling very slowly. Given enough time (it can take as much as 24 hours), it will all end up on the bottom.

Unless your solution contained ONLY gold, it won't be clear of color after you have precipitated gold. You can expect it to be anywhere from a light yellow color to a dark green/brown color, depending on what you dissolved along with the gold, so don't let the color of the barren solution make you think nothing has changed. Rely solely on testing---and if you have any doubts about the presence of gold, do a second test using a crystal of ferrous sulfate. A drop of gold solution in a white spoon will grow a thin leaf of gold on the crystal when it is inserted in the drop. If there is no gold present, you won't see much of a change, although the ferrous sulfate crystal will slowly dissolve.

Harold

Hi.

Thank you very much for the help. Perhaps i now do something right...or wrong... but there are some things settling on the bottom. But it looks greyish, or black, so i musn't get happy too soon because the gold mud is suppose to be brownish, right? Well, thanks again for all the help.

Kind regards.
Johan

Hi.

Can someone please tell me. I laid hands on a few kg's of ore. I crushed it to a fine dust and want to know if i can treat it with AR like refining e scrap. I know that ore contains very few gold. I processed only a small amount with AR, but cant seem to precipitate anyting. There seems to be very much gold particles in the dust, so i assumed it was fools gold. But i read that Hydrochloric acid will disolve fools gold, so i treat one batch with it, but the next moring, the gold particles was still in the dust. When i treated it with AR, there was a boiling reaction, just like when i treated e waist. But like i said, no precipitation. The stannous chloride test shows a dark purple, but faded away after about 2 minutes.
Thanks for all the help.

Johan

Treating ore with aqua regia can be very foolish, but if you concentrated the values and pretreated them properly you could dissolve the values as these then would be mostly gold silver copper some iron and so on.

Treating the ore with acid without understanding what your ore contains can kill you.

If treating ore directly with aqua regia or other acids, you will most likely leach other metals using large amounts of acids at a very high cost and never get any gold the ore may contain.
Did you concentrate the values? Did you roast the ore? Have you assayed the roasted concentrates? Do you know the chemical composition of the ore? This is a whole different ball game and you cannot use the same bat and ball to play it.

stannous can detect very minute amounts of gold in solution, even such small amounts of gold that you can loose all your money chasing after a few grains of the gold in tons of ore, so just because the stannous test did show positive but that does not mean that the leaching process you are trying will work for that ore, or that the ore would not cost you much money for nothing.

The violet color of your test may have gone away if you still had nitric to re-dissolve the gold in purple of cassius test.

Getting ready to do my first refine i have accumulated 13 pounds of various ceramics. 6 pros 23 486 dx/sx 7 k5 8 pentium double golds other tobshiba double golds 22 cryix type 25 amd duron anthon 4 pounds of regular pentium and 2 pounds of k6 and many types I'm just forgetting ... where should start crush them or not soak pins out or not ive been looking on the forum for like 2 hours for step by step for dummies but i cant find one. right now all the buyers are not really buying so im going to make an attempt at this. I sold off about 30 pounds over the past year and im pretty sure I lost tons of money most of this is free to me some i pay for a few pieces here and there if anyone can post a link or lead me to this information I would be forever greatful

craigmotyka said:
Getting ready to do my first refine i have accumulated 13 pounds of various ceramics. 6 pros 23 486 dx/sx 7 k5 8 pentium double golds other tobshiba double golds 22 cryix type 25 amd duron anthon 4 pounds of regular pentium and 2 pounds of k6 and many types I'm just forgetting ... where should start crush them or not soak pins out or not ive been looking on the forum for like 2 hours for step by step for dummies but i cant find one. right now all the buyers are not really buying so im going to make an attempt at this. I sold off about 30 pounds over the past year and im pretty sure I lost tons of money most of this is free to me some i pay for a few pieces here and there if anyone can post a link or lead me to this information I would be forever greatful

Samuel has a great video tutorial on the subject
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12717

good luck,
Chris

Latest posts

Back