AR metod for Ceramic CPUs...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone.
Im new to the refining project, so can someone please help me. I have already dissolves the gold in AR, so now im trying to precipitate it with Ferrous Sulphate. But nothing seems to happen. What can i be doning wrong. Im from South africa, and i dont know anyone here who can help me.

Enjoy your day.

Python said:
Hi everyone.
Im new to the refining project, so can someone please help me. I have already dissolves the gold in AR, so now im trying to precipitate it with Ferrous Sulphate. But nothing seems to happen. What can i be doning wrong. Im from South africa, and i dont know anyone here who can help me.

Enjoy your day.
did you test with stannous chloride to make sure you have gold in your solution?

Python said:
Hi everyone.

Enjoy your day.
Pretty hard to help when we have no idea of what you've done. To suggest you dissolved "everything" in AR doesn't really give us much of a clue, aside from suggesting to us that you are starting off wrong.

Please describe in fine detail what you started with, and what you did. Leaving out the smallest detail will derail your attempt to learn what to do, and what not to do.

I'm going to leave you with this tip. Dissolving "everything" with AR is a huge mistake, especially if not "everything" gets dissolved. You should do as others are told to do----which is to read Hoke's book, so you gain an understanding of what works, and what doesn't.

Harold

Hi Harold.

Thank you very much for the reply. I start off by cutting out every piece of the motherboard that have gold like pins, and then i put it all into the AR. But there are still pieces of motherboard onto these pieces that i put into the AR, i guess that is all wrong? When i filter the AR, there are only other pieces left, but no gold pins. But the AR then isn't the colour like it shows in the movie clips, yellow, mine is dark, emerald like green. I will look for the book tonight and see if i can get it somewhere on the internet. Thank you very much for your reply.

Sincerely gratefull
Johan

Here, my friend, is a link to a pdf version of Hoke's book from patnor's signature line.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10052#p101972

Python, you have been given some of the best advice so far, from the way I see it you are wandering in the dark in this field, Hoke's book will light your way.

I would add a copper buss bar from electrical panel or piece of clean copper pipe cut long wise hammered out flat small hole to put a copper wire in to hang it inside vessel, into the solution, this will cement out all values below copper, use old toothbrush and clean and rinse copper bar, decant liquid, (save these powders, I would add a dilute hydroxide solution to neutralize them and rinse salts from them), now the important steps:
to treat this liquid add an Iron bar to cement out copper and metals below Iron, then add again decant liquid and bring PH to about 9 this will precipitate the iron and most other metals leaving you a salt water to dispose of.
Read Hokes and get the information you will need to guide you through this mess, it will also get you on your way to getting gold and not wandering all the time where is my gold.

I'd love to strangle the person that got the notion started that you process escrap with aqua regia. More people have failed at that venture than we can count.

One thing is very important for you to understand. When you dissolve base metals along with values, if there's even traces of base metal left un-dissolved, you tend to lose the values. They cement on the base metal, but don't look like gold. When you filter your solution, you discard the values along with the garbage.

Look at processing escrap as a two step venture. The first one is where you eliminate the base metals. While it's a refining process, your real purpose is to concentrate the values so they can be further processed for purity. If you circumvent the process of eliminating base metals first, you introduce problems that yield the type of results you have experienced.

There are procedures where direct dissolution with AR can be to advantage, but you should have a firm understanding of what transpires when you apply this method. Otherwise you will struggle, often with no gain.

Read Hoke.

Harold

Hi everyone.

Many many thanks to all of you, especially dtectr, butcher and Harld_V. I really appreaciate all of what you advise. Thank you all again.

JohanPython

Hi everyone.

Can someone please help me again. I have a lump of what is said to be "platinum". So, at my disposal, i only have nitric and hydrochloric acid, and i wanted to test it. I soaked it for a whole day and night in AR, nothing happens, exept that it is a lot softer than it was before. I can dent it with a knife if i push onto it. I had only cut off a piece from the original lumb for the test, but then i had use a grinder because it was so hard. Can this be platinum?

Thank you all.

Johan

If the material is platinum, soaking in nitric and/or aqua regia would not make a difference in how hard or soft it was.

If you soaked it in ambient temperature AR and it did "nothing", there's a fair chance it's platinum, but that isn't a conclusive test. You would be better served to heat the solution to near a boil, covered with a watch glass. If the material is platinum, the solution should slowly shift towards a yellow color. It will dissolve, but VERY slowly. A test with stannous chloride of the solution would then provide a clue what you have.

Do remember, platinum is roughly 10% heavier than gold, so it should be extraordinarily heavy, assuming it is platinum.

Harold

Hi everyone, just to give a brief update on my original post...

I have dissolved all the base metals from my 20 Ceramic Duron procesors from begining of this tread....
Total weight of the gold foils is 0.9 grams...

Still I have to go to desolving in AR, and washing procedures... so at the end maybe I will be left with 0.7 g of pure gold, maybe less...

This is something like 0.035 g per CPU... Is this expected result... ?

Maybe boiling in HCL in the beginning wasn't so good idea after all... :) I was adding Nitric in the next phase, (but after washing with water) maybe in this way I made AR and dissolved some of my values... But can this amount be like 0.075 g per CPU ? I was expecting to get at least 0.1g per CPU of pure gold....

Something is not right here.....

SasaK said:
Maybe boiling in HCL in the beginning wasn't so good idea after all... :) I was adding Nitric in the next phase, (but after washing with water) maybe in this way I made AR and dissolved some of my values...
You will come to understand that rinsing, even a lot of rinsing, may not remove all traces of a given acid. That's why I recommend incineration if you switch acids in preliminary wash procedures.

But can this amount be like 0.075 g per CPU ? I was expecting to get at least 0.1g per CPU of pure gold....
It can amount to 100% dissolution, depending on how much HCl remained. Incineration ensures that doesn't happen.

You are familiar with stannous chloride, aren't you?

Did you test your solutions to see if you were losing values?

If you did not, what color was the resulting solution? Did it get discarded?

Something is not right here.....
My money say's you're right, and it also says what's not right is your procedure. If you don't stick to tried and proven processes, you can expect to lose values. You can expect to lose values if you don't have good work habits, too. Pay strict attention to the process, and don't cut any corners.

Harold

Harold, thanx for the very nice replay...

You are familiar with stannous chloride, aren't you?

Did you test your solutions to see if you were losing values?

If you did not, what color was the resulting solution? Did it get discarded?

Yes, I know about stanious test, and I had the test solution ready. But I was planning to use it during the drop down procedure with SMB... I see now that it is important to test ALL solutions before discarding them... I was reading about this so many times here, but "it can not happen to me, will take care" philosophy is my weak point, I admit... and "it happened"

Color of the solution..? this is a good question...

After washing CPUs with water, and putting first batch of Nitric, Nitric solution become intense yellow... :) :) :) At this point I had a very strange filling in my gut... "This is not good!"...

I discarded the solution thinking it will not have such a big effect on the end result, but I guess it did...

Lesson learned... !

The resulting 0.9g of foils I do not plan to desolve in AR... this is to little ammount of material... Instead I plan to wait untill I have something like a batch of 100 CPUs... Do the proper procedure including inceneration... then I will put all the gold foils together and then do desolving in AR...

I do not see any point in going trough the big work of refining 0.9g to 0.7g or 0.6g.. I better wait a little and do all the work for more value...

But in the end, I am happy with my first refine. I screwed up a little, but I learned a lot, got handy with the acids and health protection procedures, didn't got poisoned or burned :lol: and I got some nice gold foils at the end. For this I have to thank the people in this forum, your help was great and it is very apriciated.

Here is a picture of my gold foils... You guys are to thank for this...
DSC00038.JPG

I will say, that aside from procedure foibles, to be able to retain that small amount of clean foils, separate & intact, does show some self-discipline.

Remember, the roots of the Greek word from which we obtain, in English, "discipline" & "disciple", means "to teach" or "to learn", depending on your perspective (teacher or student); not "to punish", as we so often apply them.

You have "learned" & if you continue to learn & apply what you learn, you will become a "disciple" (a "learner" or a "taught one") of this exciting science. You are already well on your way.

Congratulations.
dtectr

Hi everyone.

Can someone please help. I read Hoke's, but i still cant get my gold to precipitate. I get everything right, from getting rid of base metals with nitric acid, then disolving the gold with AR, but then.... Im using Ferrous Sulphate for precipitation. At first, i only adds the ferrous sulphate to the AR solution. It didnt work. then, after reading Hoke, i boiled it, and then when it gets thick, i pour a bit of hydrochloric acid. I did this 3 times, to get rid of nictric acid. then i mix ferrous sulphate with water, and add it to the mix. And i wait.....and wait....and wait. Nothing happens. Can someone please tell me what to try now.

Thank you
Johan

Python said:
Hi everyone.

Can someone please help. I read Hoke's, but i still cant get my gold to precipitate. I get everything right, from getting rid of base metals with nitric acid, then disolving the gold with AR, but then.... Im using Ferrous Sulphate for precipitation. At first, i only adds the ferrous sulphate to the AR solution. It didnt work. then, after reading Hoke, i boiled it, and then when it gets thick, i pour a bit of hydrochloric acid. I did this 3 times, to get rid of nictric acid. then i mix ferrous sulphate with water, and add it to the mix. And i wait.....and wait....and wait. Nothing happens. Can someone please tell me what to try now.

Thank you
Johan
again. did you test with stannous chloride to assure presence of gold?

Latest posts

Back