AR vs HCL-CL precipitation reaction?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob2064

I watched a video on how to precipitate gold in AR solution, and he instructed to add SMB until the solution turns black. He also says that the amount of SMB used should be about equal to the grams of gold expected.

Do these same reactions happen in HCL-CL? Should I add it until the solution turns black?

If that is the case I have a lot more gold in my solution than I believe I have. :mrgreen:

Can "TOO MUCH" SMB be added, where it will hurt anything?

Yes the sodium metabisulfite will precipitate gold from the HCl/bleach solution, as long as you have no free chlorine in solution (heating the solution will drive off the chlorine as gas),

Yes too much SMB can be added this would give you a false positive when you do the stannous chloride test (the stannous chloride test is used to see if you have any gold in solution).
Adding too much SMB could also form salts mixed with your gold, and if you had base metals in solution also precipitate them as sulfates.

Sounds like you need to do a little more reading in Hoke's book, and need to get familiar with the stannous chloride test for gold in solution, if your not familiar with the getting antiquated experiments or testing for metals in solution as discussed in Hoke's book, I feel your just going to have nothing but trouble until you are, I would not try and recover or refine gold until I understood what her book teaches, because doing so before understanding what she teaches in her book would be like throwing gold in the trash.

Ferrous sulfate crystals can also be used detect gold in solution (in a spot plate test).

butcher said:
Yes the sodium metabisulfite will precipitate gold from the HCl/bleach solution, as long as you have no free chlorine in solution (heating the solution will drive off the chlorine as gas),

Yes too much SMB can be added this would give you a false positive when you do the stannous chloride test (the stannous chloride test is used to see if you have any gold in solution).
Adding too much SMB could also form salts mixed with your gold, and if you had base metals in solution also precipitate them as sulfates.

Sounds like you need to do a little more reading in Hoke's book, and need to get familiar with the stannous chloride test for gold in solution, if your not familiar with the getting antiquated experiments or testing for metals in solution as discussed in Hoke's book, I feel your just going to have nothing but trouble until you are, I would not try and recover or refine gold until I understood what her book teaches, because doing so before understanding what she teaches in her book would be like throwing gold in the trash.

Ferrous sulfate crystals can also be used detect gold in solution (in a spot plate test).

Butcher meant to say acquainted!!!!!

Now that is funny, my only real complaint about C. M. Hoke, is that her usage of the English Language, although correct for her time, is very antiquated. I always seem to be drinking something when I read posts like this, then out of left field something strikes me just the right way, that I, my computer, and my keyboard suffer from an explosion of fluid expelling from my mouth as I try to contain my laughter.

Hahaha... Still laughing...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Scott

Latest posts

Back