Baby steps, first recovery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoMole

Supporting Member
I did my first small scale gold recovery experiment over the weekend. Things went as planned so I was quite happy about that. I made a few pages of notes so I will try to summarize and include the important information.

I started with 3.08 grams of 10k jewelry. I bought 2 small melting dishes and glazed them with borax, without breaking them I might add :) I inquarted with 2.01 grams of coin silver and poured the melt into water. It made 2 shot, a big one and a little one. Starting weight was 5.08g with expected gold content of 1.28g.

For the digestion I used a 50ml beaker with cover, hot plate, coffee pot with sand as a catch basin, distilled water, and 67% HNO3. Using a pipette I added 20ml water. More than I wanted but enough to cover the gold. Then 3ml HNO3. A dilute solution for sure but I figured 6 or 7 for digestion of the base metals so I started slow. I set everything up on the hot plate and turn to med-low. Over the next 2 hours the heat went to medium, I added 30ml water to keep everything covered. The reaction became vigorous after a slow start and the solution turned blue. I decanted and rinsed 3 times with water.

The second digestion consisted of 30ml water, 3ml HNO3, and heat. Over the next 2 hours I added 10ml water and 7ml HNO3 (3ml, 2ml, 2ml). The reaction was vigorous. Saw the red cloud in the covered beaker for the first time. Decanted and rinsed.

3rd digestion, 15ml water, 5ml HNO3, and heat. After 45 minutes the solution was just a very light blue, not deep blue like earlier. This told me the base metals were essentially gone. Decant into a separate container and rinse 3 times.

This morning the dry weight of the gold is 1.27g which is spot on expectations. I used 15ml of HNO3, double what I calculated. Is this because I need more water than expected to cover the material? The only other difficulty I had was determining when the bubbling observed was due to the acid or heat. I am still unsure.

Aqua Regia will be next but that will be for another post.

This site has a amazing volume of information but being the noob I am I can say the best piece of information is go slow. I would rather succeed with a small amount than blunder a large one. I would appreciate any comments. I think all the math is right. Are there any glaring examples of noob mistakes? :lol:

From what you told us it looks like you've been doing your homework by studying. Also, your first recovery will give you some good experience because read as much as you can, some things just won't make sense until you do them. Hoke suggests acquaintance experiments in her book just for this reason.

It is difficult to predict the amount of nitric acid used in removing the base metals in inquartation because there are lots of variables. The ratio of copper vs silver in the karat scrap can be one variable. Another is the efficiency of the reaction, amount of evaporation during the reaction to name a few.
I think you did well.

Yep, the lack of response on this thread basically indicates that you pretty much did everything the correct way first time. Hoke would be proud.

Don't stay up at night worrying about why stoichiometric calculations about acid consumption doesn't seem to work out, I did the same calculations when just getting started and pretty soon realized that I was almost always using substantially more than my calculations suggested. I think this is basically due to nothing ever working 100% efficiently, the initial concentrations might not be 100% accurate and we tend to not let 100% of the acid get used up because the reaction slows down massively when the acid concentration gets low.

Congratulations to a good start, you are hooked now! :mrgreen:

Don't worry for the large nitric consumption, a small experiment has so much larger surface area compared to a larger batch so evaporation becomes a large factor.

I couldn't see any mistakes, starting with a small experiment to test the procedures, going through all safety features as catch basin and sand between to spread the heat. I would call this a text book example of how to start. :D

Göran

Thank you for the kind words. Those are a couple of goods points about nitric consumption. I didn't calculate for the copper, I just looked at it as all silver even though I know better. And I can see how surface area was a factor as well. I had to keep the solution topped up with water due to evaporation.

And yea, I am hooked. Or maybe "Hoked"? I am not sure now.

Latest posts

Back