Back yard Prospecting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We take precautions respirators and wind our chain mill is outside but thanks for the heads up. There are hundreds of old mines and mill sites all around this area and I've been drinking well water for over 50 years. This is just a hobby for us here's today's button and my hand We melted all the fines collected out of various ore samples and melted not smelted. It took two melts to clean up but turned out nice. 27.5 grams. Back to crushing rocks to decide which pile of waste rock we should be hauling home. Just reweighed 28 grams scale was cold this one is on the way to town:cool: we need supplies.
This image was pirated from another site, you may recognize the chain mill. Reno Chris has the same chain mill he has a cyclone dust collector on his mill, he goes to far as to refine the dust for values.

If there's any arsenic in that dust spewing from your chain mill, your contaminating the area.

In the bottom image you clearly have no idea of how to use a cupel.

Educate yourself and spend some time reading Hoke's book.

If your not here to learn, then why are you here.

s1.JPG

Screenshot from 2022-12-14 13-42-16.png

Last edited:
This image was pirated from another site, you may recognize the chain mill. Reno Chris has the same chain mill he has a cyclone dust collector on his mill, he goes to fat as to refine the dust for values.

If there's any arsenic in that dust spewing from your chain mill, your contaminating the area.

In the bottom image you clearly have no idea of how to use a cupel.

Educate yourself and spend some time reading Hoke's book.

View attachment 53715

View attachment 53716
It is true, educating ones self will always broaden ones view and maybe help increase ones effectivity and safety.

But if he is only going to gravity separate and smelt, Hoke is not strictly neccessary.

But it is never wasted though😊👍

It is true, educating ones self will always broaden ones view and maybe help increase ones effectivity and safety.

But if he is only going to gravity separate and smelt, Hoke is not strictly neccessary.

But it is never wasted though😊👍
Improper use of a cupel is telling, cupels are used to soak up oxides not as a melting dish.

Native gold always contains silver, which occurs in varying proportions, the colour becoming paler with the increase of silver.

Re-read the copy of a post he made Oct 5 / 2022

The difference between a scorification dish and cupel, is that a scorification dish is made from high refractory alumina clay, does not absorb lead, and can be used with Borax. A cupel is made of bone ash, cement, or a couple other compounds, to absorb the Lead during cupelation. Do not use Borax with the Lead button during cupelation. Maybe read a little on fire assaying, available in the library. Then we won't have to correct you in your posts. Just trying to get everybody on the same page when it comes to the terminology used on this forum. Nice Buttons!

Improper use of a cupel is telling, cupels are used to soak up oxides not as a melting dish.

Re-read the copy of a post he made Oct 5 / 2022
No such post in this thread, and I can’t remember much cupelling in Hokes book, but then again I never had much interest in smelting and cupelling so far😏

Those photos you copied are a smelt of black sands with just borax and the gold that dropped / leaked through the cheap imported cupels that I reused several times. We use cupels as a crucible to melt small amounts of concentrates to test we are not cupelling. That's gold on the scale that tests 18kt + we just sold a 28-gram button of my failed smelt for $1400 US dollars to a gold buyer. Do you scrub and capture the toxic waste from scrap? Reno Chris is processing a lot more material than we are. A big day around here is a bucket of rocks. The way I melt is to place a cupel with the fine gold inside of a crucible, so we don't blow the micro gold were recovering all over the furnace. And if there's a failure it's captured.

Last edited:
No such post in this thread, and I can’t remember much cupelling in Hokes book, but then again I never had much interest in smelting and cupelling so far😏
Jason from Mount Baker Mining and Metals gives a good description of how cupeling is carried out.

Here ya go. it's a screen shot of a post made by Southfork on another forum, Oct, 5 / 2022

Screenshot from 2022-12-14 13-42-16.png

Those photos you copied are a smelt of black sands with just borax and the gold that dropped / leaked through the cheap imported cupels that I reused several times. We use cupels as a crucible to melt small amounts of concentrates to test we are not cupelling. That's gold on the scale that tests 18kt + we just sold a 28-gram button of my failed smelt for $1400 US dollars to a gold buyer. Do you scrub and capture the toxic waste from scrap? Reno Chris is processing a lot more material than we are. A big day around here is a bucket of rocks. The way I melt is to place a cupel with the fine gold inside of a crucible, so we don't blow the micro gold were recovering all over the furnace. And if there's a failure it's captured.
That's very interesting a gold buyer paying more than spot on 18k gold.

s3.png

Last edited:
Sorry I was mistaken it was 18kt plus and only $1350 I just talked to my son cell phone coverage sometimes breaks a little and I'm hard of hearing. My son said the buyer did a scratch test before the offer.
I don't believe anyone on this forum has ever received spot or better on karat gold

We often publicly share our buyers and refiners, in the spirit of sharing will you give your source so that others wishing to sell may reap the benefits.

Today's spot 18K gold, $43.59 gram, 28 grams at spot $1,220.97 US.

You claimed to have received $1350.00 for 28 grams 18k, that's a whopping $4.62 US dollars per gram an $83.16 dollar gain on 28 grams of 18k gold.

For today's spot I used Dendritics Precious Metals Calculator - Link.

I don't believe anyone on this forum has ever received spot or better on karat gold

We often publicly share our buyers and refiners, in the spirit of sharing will you give your source so that others wishing to sell may reap the benefits.

Today's spot 18K gold, $43.59 gram, 28 grams at spot $1,220.97 US.

You claimed to have received $1350.00 for 28 grams 18k, that's a whopping $4.62 US dollars per gram an $83.16 dollar gain on 28 grams of 18k gold.

For today's spot I used Dendritics Precious Metals Calculator - Link.
For what it's worth we have a private buyer that we sell specimen pieces to at spot plus a premium. So, they take our buttons when and if we sell and there's still room for them to make a good profit at today's spot of $1850.00 even if they need to refine it a little.

Last edited:

Hokes book contains a lot of information on cupelling and for this reason suggested that Southfork read the book.

The following pages would be of interest to him.

Screenshot from 2022-12-14 21-28-16.png

stoneware I don't think your helping anyone with your copy paste routine that's what banned you from another site. The free gold in the ore we are now milling runs 70 - 90 percent purity same as our placer gold all recovered by gravity separation and melted. If and when I try to smelt low grade ore, I will download the pdf files that pertain to our ore. At least we have been successful at recovering gold for a long time Have you?

Back