Basic Chemistry Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old thompson

I'm still mulling over the idea of using acids. I hope you don't think I am stupid for asking, but I would feel a little better knowing the answer to the following dilema-

What is the proper procedure for cleaning a graduated cylinder used to measure acids? I Know you aren't supposed to add water to H2SO4, so how do you clean up?

I'm not to crazy to get started, I just want to learn for now. Read my signature line- the stuff in the beaker is the ball, I'm the player. I just don't want to go into a situation where I don't Know what play to make.

Thanks-o.t.

o.t.
I assume you're referring to the film left after measuring & pouring & the cylinder is otherwise empty? If so, don't worry - if you add a large volume of cool water to rinse, the tiny amount of heat generated is easily absorbed by the water.

Do, however, take a page from Harold_V's book and get a new scrub brush used only for this purpose & Bon Ami cleanser. After the initial thorough rinse - Scrub & rinse thoroughly; I also dry with an ample amount of paper towel to make sure there's no residue.

I do applaud your caution in approaching the use of acids, but if you take the time to learn, not just the processes but the "Why's" of the process, you can proceed safer than cleaning your bathroom.

dtectr said:
Do, however, take a page from Harold_V's book
old thompson said:
it looks like Harold_V's book is not available in print.
Dtectr was being metaphorical,and giving credit where it was due.
dtectr said:
I do applaud your caution in approaching the use of acids,
Agreed.Patience is so hard to find in new members........I know my lack of patience when I was new,cost me more than I care to share.That is why I preach it so hard now.

Here's the pdf verison.

Attachments

• 32031324-Cleaning-Laboratory-Glassware-for-gold-refining.pdf
    34.1 KB

Latest posts

Back