Begginers Mistake

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlaw72

My business gets in a lot of circuit boards, and a little over a year ago I heard about e-waste recovery for gold. After a lot of reading I figured out quickly that the recovery processes were probably better left to those with a better understanding of the chemicals, and reactions that take place. However, we only have one buyer in my area for boards, and after watching a pallet in the corner of my building fill up with boards, and recieving a $12 check when it was all said and done made me rethink.
I became a hobbyist and started depopulating boards in my spare time, hoarding the gold plated material I could get. Until one afternoon I decided to try, processing gold fingers didn't seem to hard. For the last 8 months I have been running gold fingers through AP, filtering, but going no further with process. Just saving the gold foil filled filters in a jar in my workshop, but today, I managed to even mess that up when my first filtration of fingers was going too slowly. I grabbed for a metal, (copper based i'm guessing)? sieve instead of the usual glass filter I use, and ended up with a brown/copperish sludge instead of the usual packed filter of gold foils. Im guessing the AP, and metal from the sieve had something to do with this result?

You probably used an iron based sieve and cemented some of the copper from solution.
Just add some AP back to the dirty foils and give it some time. The brown is copper and will dissolve again.
Martijn.

Very good information, I kind of figured as much. Question, will AP diluted with distilled water, probably 2:1 AP still be reusable?

Outlaw72 said:
Very good information, I kind of figured as much. Question, will AP diluted with distilled water, probably 2:1 AP still be reusable?
Yes. Just add some fresh HCl.

Latest posts

Back