Best way to split gold filled / steel watch bands?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalkiel

I have a pile of gold filled top / steel bottom watch bands. I've tried manually pulling them apart and that takes forever. Does anyone know any quick techniques that don't involve acid or danger? :)

Those are painstakingly hard. I no you said without acid but that is the easiest way with a good boil in nitric it removes the copper backing and off they fall. the stainless is left alone.

Eric

Thanks for the reply.

I figured that would be the answer. Unfortunately I have young children and am also very clumsy so I'm going to avoid trying anything involving acid. I have a small bottle of nitric I carry around with me to test gold/silver and that alone has me with orange hands, so I can't imagine how horrible a "bath" of the stuff would turn out with me behind the wheel.

Dalkiel said:
Is there anyone on the forum who is willing to do these watch bands for a cut?
You might want to tell your location and just how many bands you have (in both count and pounds if you have that, but something....) - right now there is no way for someone to estimate the work or the 'cut'.

With a bit more info on what the job is, what expenses might occur (like shipping, though it won't be much different within the same country, but small loads are more expensive per pound than large ones), etc., it will be much easier to answer your question.

MMFJ said:
Dalkiel said:
You might want to tell your location and just how many bands you have (in both count and pounds if you have that, but something....) - right now there is no way for someone to estimate the work or the 'cut'.

With a bit more info on what the job is, what expenses might occur (like shipping, though it won't be much different within the same country, but small loads are more expensive per pound than large ones), etc., it will be much easier to answer your question.

I live in the United States, if that helps. It would be enough to warrant a Priority Flat Rate box.

I did 11 pounds not too long ago.... Quite a chore, I did get fast at plucking... I may give them a go if you like.... How much do you have..

glondor said:
I did 11 pounds not too long ago.... Quite a chore, I did get fast at plucking... I may give them a go if you like.... How much do you have..

I probably have a few pounds. My father, who would send his too, is the x-factor. He'd want to send his too, and he may have an enormous amount. I'm not sure yet.

One thing that I'm not sure on is that a lot of the old watch bands are gf/ss but not marked. I'm not completely sure on some of them. Sometimes the marks are on the little band that hooks to the watch, and I usually twist those to hell when I yank them off the watch case.

Dalkiel said:

If You're on the west coast I can give you a hand with them.
You failed to mention how much you have, so I will just throw a few numbers at you.

Less than a pound- have fun since their is not enough to worry about.
More than 1 but less than 5 pounds - 15% of recovered tops.
More than 5 but less than 10 pounds - 10% of recovered tops.
More than 10 pounds we can negotiate a percentage.

I will weigh what I receive then return all metal minus the {??? %} of tops I charge for removal. I will provide pictures of all metals on scales so we will both see what is actual weight before the fee split. I will also account for all the dirt and filth that naturally comes with all bands. It does add to the overall weight.

Send a PM if interested.

niteliteone said:
Dalkiel said:

If You're on the west coast I can give you a hand with them.
You failed to mention how much you have, so I will just throw a few numbers at you.

Less than a pound- have fun since their is not enough to worry about.
More than 1 but less than 5 pounds - 15% of recovered tops.
More than 5 but less than 10 pounds - 10% of recovered tops.
More than 10 pounds we can negotiate a percentage.

I will weigh what I receive then return all metal minus the {??? %} of tops I charge for removal. I will provide pictures of all metals on scales so we will both see what is actual weight before the fee split. I will also account for all the dirt and filth that naturally comes with all bands. It does add to the overall weight.

Send a PM if interested.

Thanks. I'll definitely keep it in mind. I need to get everything together to get a more concrete idea of what I have in total. I just bought a load of watches from the estate of a watch repair person that need to be sorted too.

I'm on the east coast and would be willing to process them for you. I'd just like to add that no matter who you choose to process your scrap, if you send the watchbands intact and un-separated it could take considerably more time to process than if you send in just the caps. You may be able to negotiate a better price if you separate the tops from the expanding part of the bands. PM me if interested.

Latest posts

Back