If you are serious about refining, this is a good read.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4metals

Staff member
Supporting Member
Every once in a while, I'll just go over to my bookshelf in the office and pull out a book about refining. Yeah I get it, I have to get a life! I was going away for a few days and took this book along for some "light reading". It is called Small Scale Refining of Jewelers Wastes by Roland Loewen. The book is copyrighted in 1995 so it is not something we can give you here for free but it is definitely worth buying it. You can get it here for $29.60.

As I re-read the book for probably the 4th time, I realized he should have titled the book differently. Something like how to build a functional refinery without spending a lot of money.

The book discusses in detail sampling, assaying, refining jewelers sweeps, low grade waste, Gold, Silver, Platinum, Palladium, Pollution and gives excellent descriptions on building systems like those often discussed here. And the book has a large list of references to follow up if you need more detail.

Things like fume scrubbing have changed since he wrote it but his principles are sound and there is a lot of knowledge to be had for a small price. Please note I have nothing to do with the publishing or content of this book and there is nothing in it for me in suggesting it's purchase. But I wish this book was available when i started out.

Every once in a while, I'll just go over to my bookshelf in the office and pull out a book about refining. Yeah I get it, I have to get a life! I was going away for a few days and took this book along for some "light reading". It is called Small Scale Refining of Jewelers Wastes by Roland Loewen. The book is copyrighted in 1995 so it is not something we can give you here for free but it is definitely worth buying it. You can get it here for $29.60.

As I re-read the book for probably the 4th time, I realized he should have titled the book differently. Something like how to build a functional refinery without spending a lot of money.

The book discusses in detail sampling, assaying, refining jewelers sweeps, low grade waste, Gold, Silver, Platinum, Palladium, Pollution and gives excellent descriptions on building systems like those often discussed here. And the book has a large list of references to follow up if you need more detail.

Things like fume scrubbing have changed since he wrote it but his principles are sound and there is a lot of knowledge to be had for a small price. Please note I have nothing to do with the publishing or content of this book and there is nothing in it for me in suggesting it's purchase. But I wish this book was available when i started out.
Sadly not available on Kindle. :oops:

After I posted this I tried to see if it is available as an e-book and it is not. Only available in what Goran used to call dead tree format!
I discovered that, so then the question is to get it over the pond in a reasonable way.

Latest posts

Back