Black cloud in AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point taken, I will stick to conventional methods that are well known, tested and trusted.
I saw something on YouTube I think it was where they did something similar with citric acid and salt.
As far as I'm aware, silver contacts don't ordinarily have iron in them(I maybe wrong), there would be no reason for copper to cement on them so unsure what has happened here.
They were magnetic were they not?

They were but I believed the iron to be in the bits that the contacts are soldered to/fixed to.
Yes, but they are still there and in excellent contact with the Silver.
So the whole contact point, iron and Silver included form a galvanic unity and act as it was something close to Iron.
If you mange to remove the Iron completely things will change.

Point taken, I will stick to conventional methods that are well known, tested and trusted.
I saw something on YouTube I think it was where they did something similar with citric acid and salt.
As far as I'm aware, silver contacts don't ordinarily have iron in them(I maybe wrong), there would be no reason for copper to cement on them so unsure what has happened here.
If you have magnetic contacts there is a high possibility there are some iron or nickel in the pot. ;)

I've seen plenty of silver on iron contact points.

Göran

The non-magnetic contacts that were in AP, been in a couple of weeks and as far as I can tell, all the base metals have gone into solution. The solution is emerald green. On some of the contacts there is a waxy grey/purple material that can be scraped off. Any idea what this could be?

Last edited:
These type of contacts make a mess.
I ran this lot of my worse contacts tungsten and iron and whatever else was a dark contact.
Plenty of chlorides appeared. Disgusting contacts.
Tin, lead, antimony, tungsten, iron, copper and possibly more metals.
Mine were run in nitric but you state above in your post waxy grey/purple which I ran across this.
So many tough chlorides appeared in my batch also.
I took it all out and made some seperations and cleaned them.
The group with grey/purple I cleaned off and remelted. A sticky substance was there on the remelt.
Eventually I will rerun the tungsten ones as I believe I did not get all the silver. Very low yield.
And the sticky remelt, I did not use borax, I will remelt and apply some flux (not sure exactly what flux), these were the ones covered with the waxy substance.
After remelt you can see brown coating.
Attached some pictures.

Attachments

• 20240622_141747.jpg
    20240622_141747.jpg
    825.6 KB
  • 20240622_142855.jpg
    20240622_142855.jpg
    1.1 MB
  • 20240623_085350.jpg
    20240623_085350.jpg
    1.4 MB