• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Black Platinum Nuggets and Crystals for sale

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you recognize black platinum crystals in the jar? Can you see my most recent metal that I even removed from the slag today. Can you see the palladium in the metal. It causes it to look dull. Do you have any experience at all with platinum group ore?.
I do not know if you ever seen platinum, but I never seen ANY tarnished, black or gray platinum. Even yellow-hot platinum still have recognizable luster and shine. And it is not nearly black or even hint of darker grey colour.
Platinum is in some terms most "noble" metal from all PGMs. It does not oxidize easily, and you can forge it and shape it on air and it will retain it´s properties indefinitely.
So that didn´t convinced me.
I see slighltly roasted or crushed up slag. That is all I can see. Sorry.

platinum is dense and the equipment simple and easy enough for an ancient Greek
THIS.
I like when you reply with pure facts and make a point every time you chime in.

Gravity is free, water is free, maybe some usable scales aren´t... But with 20 bucks in the pocket, you can fairly easily tell at least if there is something interesting (Y)

I don't know about "top expert" but I have worked with platinum and its sister metals my whole adult life so I have learned some things that are repeatable.

I am actually not very familiar with US-based Pt "ore" and I am not a geologist or even geochemist. What little I know of the mineralization of PGMs is that either you find them alluvial (of which I have processed alluvial Pt, and osmiridium 🤮) or they are largely present as arsenides, sulfides, selenides, tellurides (chalcogenides) and associated with a more plentiful metal, like Ni, which is, at least where most of it comes from (S. Africa/Transvaal), associated with chromite.
Any of those are going to be very dense, denser than hematite, likely with an SG greater than that of tantalite/cassiterite/galena. Sperrylite, PtAs2 is about 20-25% denser than those minerals.

If I were in your position Nountaineer, and this material were coming from the heavies after panning/sluicing/blue bowling/whatevering, I would try to get it as clean as possible and get some sort of average SG. How I usually ballpark stuff at work is I'll weigh up a known quantity

get some grams of unknown material.
I'll then tare my graduated cylinder (usually using a 25 mL one)...45.500 grams empty and dry
I'll then weigh up 15.00 grams of water (which is more or less 15 mL at room temp) in the graduated cylinder, which now weighs 15 grams because I've zero'd the scale. I mark the meniscus (should be at 15 mL) with a fine tip sharpie and get my eye equal with the meniscus so there's no parallax
I'll put carefully, almost grain-by-grain put 10.00 grams of the material in the cylinder as it sits on the scale...ok now it's 25.00 grams. I tap the cylinder to get any air bubbles out and take a reading on the new meniscus that went up as I added the material.

If it goes up 1 mL, then your material is around an SG of 10 as you put ten grams in and it went up 1 mL. If it barely goes up at all, then your SG is very high. It'll tend to underestimate the SG of things due to air, but one can take the temperature of the room to correct for its density and use a solvent that has less surface tension than water.

I don't know about "top expert" but I have worked with platinum and its sister metals my whole adult life so I have learned some things that are repeatable.

I am actually not very familiar with US-based Pt "ore" and I am not a geologist or even geochemist. What little I know of the mineralization of PGMs is that either you find them alluvial (of which I have processed alluvial Pt, and osmiridium 🤮) or they are largely present as arsenides, sulfides, selenides, tellurides (chalcogenides) and associated with a more plentiful metal, like Ni, which is, at least where most of it comes from (S. Africa/Transvaal), associated with chromite.
Any of those are going to be very dense, denser than hematite, likely with an SG greater than that of tantalite/cassiterite/galena. Sperrylite, PtAs2 is about 20-25% denser than those minerals.

If I were in your position Nountaineer, and this material were coming from the heavies after panning/sluicing/blue bowling/whatevering, I would try to get it as clean as possible and get some sort of average SG. How I usually ballpark stuff at work is I'll weigh up a known quantity

get some grams of unknown material.
I'll then tare my graduated cylinder (usually using a 25 mL one)...45.500 grams empty and dry
I'll then weigh up 15.00 grams of water (which is more or less 15 mL at room temp) in the graduated cylinder, which now weighs 15 grams because I've zero'd the scale. I mark the meniscus (should be at 15 mL) with a fine tip sharpie and get my eye equal with the meniscus so there's no parallax
I'll put carefully, almost grain-by-grain put 10.00 grams of the material in the cylinder as it sits on the scale...ok now it's 25.00 grams. I tap the cylinder to get any air bubbles out and take a reading on the new meniscus that went up as I added the material.

If it goes up 1 mL, then your material is around an SG of 10 as you put ten grams in and it went up 1 mL. If it barely goes up at all, then your SG is very high. It'll tend to underestimate the SG of things due to air, but one can take the temperature of the room to correct for its density and use a solvent that has less surface tension than water.
Issuing SG i just add up to your very informative manual that you can use liquids with lower viscosity and surface tension than water to wet the porous materials. Just use ones that do not evaporate that quickly to skew the analysis. Water is more than sufficient for regular stuff tho :)

It is good to let the water sit for few hours at room temperature to give off any excess gasses, that may be present dissolved in it (tap water is usually much colder than room temperature = better dissolution of gasses in it). Doing this, there is nearly zero risk that you will entrap any gas bubbles as you perform whole experiment.

Can you at least state what state , or country, this material comes from, please?
I have withheld sensitive information because I was warned that I could start a platinum gold rush by a mining engineer who ground my high grade and helped with the lead assay that I mentioned. I discovered the platinum group deposit in early 2022 and the owner was aware of my sampling and spoke to me in mid December. I have been given exclusive access to the ore from this world class deposit. I can not give a specific number of patented claims for security reasons. It is less than 100 patented claims. Two platinum group washes start in this deposit creating platinum black sand deposits as well. It is in the SW USA and is a heavily guarded secret that I alone have discovered. Our state is unaware of it. The drill casings have deep rust pits indicating this was drilled and patented many years ago. I am too disabled to deal with this by myself and am in great need of assistance.

I am filling a jar with black Plàtinum Nuggets and Crystals and would like to offer a nugget to a qualified person here to analyze. My problem is my inability to drag and drop with a smart phone to show photos of these little gems. I have enough to sell now.
I have identified Ruthenium with the help of Google Lens. I was looking for assistance with identification of these light green crystals. The ore has what is called Green Ore in it as well as the crystals. I only have a few pieces of this rich platinum ore with these crystals on it. Once again I have no idea of the value of this PGM. Help with pricing would be appreciated.NITRO_8_06222023_090837.jpg

I have two 2 ounce jars with an assortment of small black Plàtinum Nuggets, crystals, vein material and rich ore specimens tumbled that look similar to nuggets. The first jar contents weigh 115 grams. They also contain what I believe is tiny pieces of Osmium that is black, shiny and very hard. I will add a platinum gold placer concentrate that weighs about a pound. I can only guarantee that this material came from a world class platinum deposit that is worth Billions. You could pull the Best specimens and smelt the rest and get an ounce or two of platinum, palladium and gold. I am asking $500 or best offer.
I just smelted a much stronger concentrate of the black platinum crystals and the button/pieces are a higher quality of platinum it appears. The discolored pieces appear to be coated with graphite. I read somewhere that graphite is a contaminant for platinum. It was while reading about using graphite stir rods that I found it. I would appreciate advice on how to clean off the graphite if necessary.

Attachments

• 20230807_085704.jpg
    20230807_085704.jpg
    954.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is an analysis of my Sperrylite specimens directing the focus point at the edge of one of those crystals for some ore and Crystals content. Lou should recognize this Machine. It is used by the majority of the big refineries, not a gun. This Machine is top of the line in accuracy. Now, how much are specimens of this worth? I will add more pictures of those specimens.
IMG_20230901_143830.jpg20230911_085501.jpg

Attachments

• 20230911_085848.jpg
    20230911_085848.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230911_090010.jpg
    20230911_090010.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230911_085951.jpg
    20230911_085951.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’m Norwegian living in Norway. So it would not be practical to send anything here.
And Lou owns several refineries that refine PGMs, so calling him out will be moot.
I am adding this platinum group crystal which I believe is a cubic sperrylite crystal. This is the same one as in the silver dollar photo. I used 2 mild acids, acetic and oxalic then used medium abrasive 3m scotchbrite pads to remove some of the mineral compounds on it. I could use some advice on how to finish cleaning this crystal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231015-140341_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015-140341_One UI Home.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_170530.jpg
    20231023_170530.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231020_092531.jpg
    20231020_092531.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back