Blue crystals issue

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xsvfan1

This is a problem I have ran into recently.

It has been super cold where I live at so I haven't been able to make anymore nitric acid. So instead I have attempted the poor man's nitric method. I have been using water, potassium nitrate, and sulfuric acid. All the same stuff I use when distilling nitric.

My main issue are these blue crystals which is believe to be a mix of metal salts and remains after the reaction has finished.

Well when trying to filter using a gravity filter they clog up and turn into rocks. So I've been taking the filters and putting them into a beaker and redissolve with water and some heat.

My problem is I have way to much filters with bits of gold in them. Well I'm still filtering crystals and basiclly have a beakers full of filters.

My question is if I take the filters and hit them with a torch and turn them into ash will the gold foils burn with them.

I know gold and paper have way different melting/burning temperatures but I'm unsure if I'll loose all the micro sized gold flakes/foils when burning away the filter paper. Also I am up for suggestions on a better way to deal with all the excess filters.

Try rinsing the filters well and then drying them and then put into a stainless container and put over a heat source to roast gently , this should stop any light particles from been blown away,do this either under a hood or outside to allow any fumes to be pulled away from you.

Latest posts

Back