Borax only without anything

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
j2000 said:
Palladium said:
I still think you should inquart with silver and remove that with nitric, wash, and melt. It's a simple nice procedure that would solve a lot of your problems and you wouldn't lose near as much gold as you are now dealing with slag, plus you can recover the silver you use and what is in the jewelry also. That's a nice little added bonus. Your accountability with that procedure will be about 98-99 percent for gold recovered and your purity should be about 98-99 percent and melt real nicely or at least nicer than it is now.

Yes it's very possible now...
I have to try it 1 month ago...but with borax only...the result is: the gold powder still separate...not all collected with silver...

Joel

Have you studied the inquarting process? Do you know how to figure the amount of silver to add to the melt? Sounds like you didn't add enough silver to allow the nitric to penetrate the gold. If you don't mix it well during the melt it can do that to.

Palladium said:
j2000 said:
Palladium said:
I still think you should inquart with silver and remove that with nitric, wash, and melt. It's a simple nice procedure that would solve a lot of your problems and you wouldn't lose near as much gold as you are now dealing with slag, plus you can recover the silver you use and what is in the jewelry also. That's a nice little added bonus. Your accountability with that procedure will be about 98-99 percent for gold recovered and your purity should be about 98-99 percent and melt real nicely or at least nicer than it is now.

Yes it's very possible now...
I have to try it 1 month ago...but with borax only...the result is: the gold powder still separate...not all collected with silver...

Joel

Have you studied the inquarting process? Do you know how to figure the amount of silver to add to the melt? Sounds like you didn't add enough silver to allow the nitric to penetrate the gold. If you don't mix it well during the melt it can do that to.

Thanks very much Palladium! I dont know it's need pure calculation...i really dont know....

Last time (just 2 time test) i add 20 gram silver with 50gr my powder...after pour it to the mold, i use scale...and the result is not too much gold collected...blink of gold still separated in the borax...

But i will try again as your suggestion..especially now i have chapman borax and fluorspar...hehehe..
Hope the result will be better than month ago...

This is the youtube about the calculation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTBBYogskS8

Or lemme know if there's another thread about calculation inquart processing...

Kind Regards

Joel

Palladium said:
A picture of what you melted it in. The colors of the oxides will give some indication to the contaminates.

I lil confused, but i have more picture, when i melt it with electric furnace...

Thanks

Joel

Attachments

• bahan-dayat-mesh325.jpg
    bahan-dayat-mesh325.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 394
  • bahan-dayat.jpg
    bahan-dayat.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 394
  • bahan-dayat-water.jpg
    bahan-dayat-water.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 394
In honesty you would be well served to remove the majority of the troublesome base metals chemically before trying to melt the gold, try incinerating the powder and then a hydrochloric leach followed by several water rinses before trying to melt it, try a small sample 25-50 grams to see if it helps.

For anyone reading this string for info and advice I wanted to add something that was not said about the other metals and especially the Iron.
Use a strong magnet in your wet powder before beating to remove the Iron to eliminate some of the impurities and this will help alleviate the use of acids.

Back