Building a new shed! _fumescrubber_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been able to start working on the scrubber. I might finish the scrubber tomorrow, though they're predicting rain...
The 2 columns on the left have distilled water and peroxide; the right has distilled water and lye.

Attachments

• e-scrap 002.JPG
    e-scrap 002.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 794
  • e-scrap 003.JPG
    e-scrap 003.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 794
Update:
Finished installing the scrubbing unit, and it works great! Even though I can use the scrubber for vacumm filtering, when I don't have a reaction going, I'll be instlling another column just for that purpose. Also, a small muffler would help keep noise down at the end of the pump.

I need to install next the fan onto the 6 inch extractor.

Thanks!
Phil

Mod's, thanks for deleting the spamm!

Attachments

• Bryan's 2nd batch - 1#-7.6 oz 001.JPG
    Bryan's 2nd batch - 1#-7.6 oz 001.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 718
  • Bryan's 2nd batch - 1#-7.6 oz 003.JPG
    Bryan's 2nd batch - 1#-7.6 oz 003.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 717
Phil,
I would like to know how your scrubber has been working for you. Specifically, is there any noticeable odor in the vicinity while it is in operation? If so, do you believe that running the exhaust from the pump through a chamber filed with activated carbon would help keep the smell down? I ask because I will be starting to build a shed for all my refining activities and experiments behind my current business. It is a fairly quiet area but there is some occasional foot traffic and I don't want to draw any unwanted attention. 8)
Also, the scrubbers are filled with h2o2 (×2) and one with lye. Will you tell us what concentrations you are using and how often the solutions require maintenance and/or replacement?
Thank you

ooooops! sorry I missed this one...
4metals wrote:
The one benefit of using the glass erlenmeyer flasks, other than the fact that they were free, is I am able to see when the red fume is passing off the top into the next vessel. Then I just add either more peroxide or more caustic.

I found that the full 4 liter volume of each flask worked well with each of the first 2 flasks having 100 ml of 35% hydrogen peroxide and 3900 ml of distilled water. And the last flask has 1 liter of 50% liquid caustic and 3 liters of water. This scrubs an entire karat scrap reaction of 50 ounces without further additions. I re-use the dilute nitric from the first 2 vessels as make-up water for nitric digestions and the liquid from the last vessel I use to neutralize acid waste.

For quite a while I was buying 1 to 1 1/2 kilos a week of scrap gold and melting it and processing lots up to 50 ounces in size in a 12 liter flask. This small setup worked well and I never experienced NOx fumes in my lab or outside near the vent from the scrubber. I had a small setup and rarely ran more than 1 reaction a week and generated no more than 10 liters of waste a week, which was small enough to treat properly and evaporate the waste water.
Building a chemical fume hood with a plain steel blower

Better late than never!!! :mrgreen:
phil

4metals said:
This scrubber works fine for scrubbing 15 ounces of karat scrap in a 4 liter vessel that vents entirely through the "scrubber"
IMG_0521.jpg

hi this is a very interesting set up, how does it connect to the rest of the air extraction system. kindest regards

Let's start with the pic of the reaction flask... an upside down funnel is connected to a plastic hose, that in turn, is connected to a pipe line... that pipe line goes out the hood, and then turns and goes outside the wall and exits the shed... and it can be seen outside, just above the columns. The pipe then runs down and connects to the first column... vapors run thru the 3 columns and return inside the shed, (already neutralized), running thru the vacuum pump and exiting back out into ambient air!
IMG_1640.JPGIn essence, this columns set-up is a "simple" one, again, following 4metals design.

Now, as to the air inside the shed... a use a 6" PVC pipe line coming off the top of the hood and connected to a 6" extraction fan than exits thru the wall, above the window of the shed. This keeps fresh air coming INTO the shed, and blowing OUT any traces of vapors from inside the shed.
IMG_2811.JPG

I hope this helps...
Phil

philddreamer said:
Let's start with the pic of the reaction flask... an upside down funnel is connected to a plastic hose, that in turn, is connected to a pipe line... that pipe line goes out the hood, and then turns and goes outside the wall and exits the shed... and it can be seen outside, just above the columns. The pipe then runs down and connects to the first column... vapors run thru the 3 columns and return inside the shed, (already neutralized), running thru the vacuum pump and exiting back out into ambient air!
IMG_1640.JPGIn essence, this columns set-up is a "simple" one, again, following 4metals design.

Now, as to the air inside the shed... a use a 6" PVC pipe line coming off the top of the hood and connected to a 6" extraction fan than exits thru the wall, above the window of the shed. This keeps fresh air coming INTO the shed, and blowing OUT any traces of vapors from inside the shed.
IMG_2811.JPG

I hope this helps...
Phil
Thats awesome. now i am re reading both posts and will start constructing fume hood first. Thanks alot

philddreamer said:

IMG_2811.JPG

I hope this helps...
Phil
What size of inlet and out fitting you use in each tower?
i make 46*36*30 size hood. If i want use one blower to pass fumes through scrubbers (3 towers) which rpm blower will work fine ?

ashir wrote:
i make 46*36*30 size hood. If i want use one blower to pass fumes through scrubbers (3 towers) which rpm blower will work fine ?
The grey pipe line, seen inside the hood, is 1 inch SCH-40 pipe.
After that line is outside, I reduced to 1/2 inch SCH-40 PVC which connects to the column... all the lines and fittings to and from the columns are 1/2 inch SCH-40 PVC pipe. These connect to the compressor...

I don't know how well a blower fan would work on this type of set-up... :?:

philddreamer said:
ashir wrote:
The grey pipe line, seen inside the hood, is 1 inch SCH-40 pipe.
After that line is outside, I reduced to 1/2 inch SCH-40 PVC which connects to the column... all the lines and fittings to and from the columns are 1/2 inch SCH-40 PVC pipe. These connect to the compressor...

I don't know how well a blower fan would work on this type of set-up... :?:

Thanks alot.
Fumes from compresser go back to hood.
Have seeen 6 " blow pipe behind you but whats 6" fan?

The neutralized fumes from the compressor exit out thru small hole on the wall, (as shown in the compressor pic), the fumes are not released back into the hood, nor the shed.

I cut a 5" hole on top of the hood, and placed a line, as shown in this pic:
20201109_135249.jpg

I bought the blower on e-bay. I'll try to find the seller...

P.S.
here is a pic of the 6" exhaust fan:

Attachments

• exhaust fan.jpg
    exhaust fan.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 117
philddreamer said:
The neutralized fumes from the compressor exit out thru small hole on the wall, (as shown in the compressor pic), the fumes are not released back into the hood, nor the shed.

I cut a 5" hole on top of the hood, and placed a line, as shown in this pic:
20201109_135249.jpg

I bought the blower on e-bay. I'll try to find the seller...

P.S.
here is a pic of the 6" exhaust fan:

Thanks for help. What sized hood you are using. Where you arrange the lights inside hood. (Many ideas but want copy as you did) wish to see hood's top from inside
Measurment of top bends of hood.

Sory for too much questions

Latest posts

Back