Building a pyrolysis furnace -- Need Help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think of a pressure cooker as your pyrolysis reactor (which is your gas tank), the exhaust gasses can be routed to the burner again for combustion.

Think of your normal stove pan as your burner, it needs to continuously burn thru open air as pressure will build up if you try to make this enclosed.
Imagine putting a torch tip against the wall. You would most likely be building so much pressure that it will backfire.

What kjavan did was he used firebricks as the outer vessel for the reactor. His burner is actually burning outside of the reactor and not in a sealed way. As you only need about 800degC for incineration, it shouldn't be that hard to achieve with a firebrick wall setup.

Again, do not do it in a an enclosed system. The burner should have its fumes escape somewhere.
We would love to see the pictures before you fire it up.

Oh wait. He actually welded the burner at the bottom of the reactor. But observe that the bottom of his reactor has holes in it. I would rather have the burner go thru the sides that should create a vortex and even the heating of the reactor.

Notice flue of fire gases heat the reaction chamber as hot gases escape from around the pyrolysis chamber past the hot fire brick out the top of the furnace, inside the reaction chamber the toxic gases are heated and forced down the tube into the burner, these gases act as fuel for combustion along with the other fuel from the burner, these gases are introduced into the flames heating the reaction chamber to complete combustion with air added from the blower.

The design should work fairly well, it could be improved by adding an afterburner, to re-burn the fumes exiting the top of the furnace…

Attachments

• Doc2.docx
    191.6 KB
Thank you very much for all of you for the great information you shared with us :)

Now, I totally understand the concept behind this design and how it works to pyrolysis the toxic fums coming from incinerating the ICs/chips.

However, I'm a little bit confused about the internal deign of the part marked in red in the below picture.

3.jpg

I know how it works but need to know the exact deign of this part as it's hidden in the above picture.

Now, all (Toxic fums to be pyrolysised, burner fuel, and air from the blower) are mixed together in the bottom pipe.

But how and I can mix them all together ?
Should I make a separate pipe for each one then they all meet at the end/exit of the main pipe just before the fire ?

PLS Help

Thanks butcher :)

So you mean that it's something like the below ?

Snap_2016.11.04_15h56m00s_002_.jpg

And if so does the air coming from the blower affect the fire and can shut it off ?

Also, can this air finds it's way to get inside the reactor and lead to a risk of explosion ?

My hesitation to liking this setup is because you are not defining a simple efficient pathway for the flame to travel. Flames do not like to bounce off of things, they do much better in a circular pathway.

The blower entering the bottom of the modified propane cylinder may produce the heat but the flame is kind of stuffed into the confined space and has to make it's way out of the space through whatever hole produces the path of least resistance. After the flame exits the base, it has minimal velocity from the blower and the heat will rise straight up the wall created by the bricks.

If I were making this unit I would use the propane canister to hold the chips being pyrolyzed, but cut off the base completely so the propane cylinder becomes an enclosed chamber which you put into an efficient operating gas furnace.

A gas furnace is best cast with a cylindrical inside so the entire propane cylinder canister fits inside. This will efficiently supply heat to the pyrolysis chamber. Kurtak has posted pictures of his gas furnace which would be exactly what I am trying to describe.

Then the pyrolysis chamber can be added to the furnace just like you would add a crucible. The gasses escaping the chamber would be directed down into the flame coming into the furnace where they are burned and forced in a circular motion, slowly ascending through the space between the chamber and the furnace wall. This maximizes contact time and heat exchange to burn up more of the undesirable gasses.

Another benefit of this approach is you will also have a gas furnace capable of melting refined metal or smelting for copper refining all by changing from a crucible to the pyrolysis chamber which will take seconds in a properly designed unit.

I cannot find Kurt's furnace pictures, which I know he has posted, but if Kurt or someone else could provide a link this description may be a bit more understandable.

Latest posts

Back