Buying a fume hood

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AC will load relatively quick and then you will need to replace it, it will become costly.
Limestone, I don’t know how effective that is.
Maybe or maybe not.

Wet scrubbing will always work as long as it is wet, it will loose effectivity as it saturates but is cheap to replace.

Lowes sells 4x8 sheets of white PVC 1/2” thick. Last I checked it was about $65.00 Just in case working in the drum isn’t enough space for you.

Lowes sells 4x8 sheets of white PVC 1/2” thick. Last I checked it was about $65.00 Just in case working in the drum isn’t enough space for you.
Can you show a link for this? I've never seen 1/2" pvc that cheap. I'm in the process of designing and building a hood out of pvc sheet and the cheapest I've seen for 1/2" 4 x 8 is well over $500.

Can you show a link for this? I've never seen 1/2" pvc that cheap. I'm in the process of designing and building a hood out of pvc sheet and the cheapest I've seen for 1/2" 4 x 8 is well over $500.
Effectively speaking, you does not need it to be that thick. Few mm is enough in my opinion, if you make chassis more strong. I used 3mm thick fiberglass resin sheets, and it was very good investment.

Lexan (polycarbonate "glass") is also easy to find (used for transparent roofing, sometimes you can buy smaller "sheets" for very cheap, as they are hard to sell) and relatively durable, even to the corrosive fumes. Costs like 8-10euros/m2 here, brand new, 4mm hollow profile - enough strength for the wall cover. On places of significant contact (precipitation of the hot acidic mist is the worst) it can go to somewhat white and translucent, but overall it serves for a long long time before it needs to be replaced.

AC will load relatively quick and then you will need to replace it, it will become costly.
Limestone, I don’t know how effective that is.
Maybe or maybe not.

Wet scrubbing will always work as long as it is wet, it will loose effectivity as it saturates but is cheap to replace.
I’d like to do wet scrubbing, but can’t find the relevant information for a hobbyist refiner. Ideally I would have the same setup as the fella who built a new shed recently and made 3 compartments from PVC. But I don’t want one that big if I can avoid it. Like would three 1-2L vessels work? Do I HAVE to have three seperate vessels etc? I don’t want to re use the acid, I just want to make it safe in a constricted area. Obviously I could have a 6ft pvc vent tube above the shed but that’s still close to neighbours so if there’s an easy and small DIY scrubber solution then I’m all ears

Wholly Christ it’s doubled sense I last looked. I guess no body’s shocked my that.

Attachments

• 3A0CE4A5-A095-4A96-BFEB-E747ACA98429.png
    3A0CE4A5-A095-4A96-BFEB-E747ACA98429.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I’d like to do wet scrubbing, but can’t find the relevant information for a hobbyist refiner. Ideally I would have the same setup as the fella who built a new shed recently and made 3 compartments from PVC. But I don’t want one that big if I can avoid it. Like would three 1-2L vessels work? Do I HAVE to have three seperate vessels etc? I don’t want to re use the acid, I just want to make it safe in a constricted area. Obviously I could have a 6ft pvc vent tube above the shed but that’s still close to neighbours so if there’s an easy and small DIY scrubber solution then I’m all ears
For Nitric digestions one can use a vacuum system pulling from an upside down funnel through 3 bottles.
First with water (maybe a little Hydrogen Peroxide to increase efficiency) , second with NaOH solution and the last as a catch basin.
Preferably with an e-ductor as vacuum source.
There are pictures and schematic you will find when searching the forum.

Latest posts

Back