C2C spill on concrete

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, first off, THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!. This post comes in just as I celebrate my 3rd birthday on GRF. The first two and a half years was just reading and collecting. I have recovered foils now about a dozen times mostly from boards and a few times from pins. This brings me to my question. Today I spilled about a tablespoon of AP on the concrete in front of my garage. I immediately wiped up all the liquid with paper towel, gloves were on. I spread baking soda over the acid until I noticed all fizzing had stopped. I then swept this into pan and put into my waste bucket, more fizzes. I sprayed where the acid had been with tap water and sprinkled more baking soda, I then used tooth brush and scrubbed area while spraying. Wiped area again and seeing no more traces of copper tint I poured a bucket of water over it for dilution. Did I do this right? I have been very careful from the beginning and this made me a little nervous. I know that hcl is used for cleaning concrete but I want to make sure I didn't hurt anything with the C2C.

Attachments

• IMG_20160417_200206909.jpg
    IMG_20160417_200206909.jpg
    3.4 MB
You will probably be left with a copper stain, the solution will etch the concrete, the copper chloride most likely is reduced by the concrete.

You may try an old mop or rags, with HCl and H2O2 (strong) to clean (etch) the concrete, that may dissolve the copper and soak it up into the mop. It will eat the top layer of concrete, and the acid will be consumed fairly quickly, be careful of breathing the fumes. luckily this is outside because the fumes are bad, very choking when cleaning concrete (or grout) indoors with HCl.

Latest posts

Back