Can someone help me?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all you are wanting to do is clean up gold for your own alloying, you will be well served by studying up on inquartation. Your collection of gold filled material can be treated with nitric to produce an impure gold insoluble which can be dried and inquarted with silver and boiled in nitric twice to produce a high quality gold which can be as high as .9985 with the impurity being silver. Since most alloys you will want to make likely require silver anyway, you can make quality gold alloys for your own use from gold you buy as scrap over the counter as well as your supply of gold filled scrap.

Your only waste will be spent nitric solutions which you can treat easily using the procedures found in the library section. Keep it simple. I know of a good number of small town jewelers doing it this way.

2500 grams in aqua regia? :shock: It would have been far cheaper just to pay the 10% processing fee until you learned for yourself. Nitric should ALWAYS be your first step in GF. The reason you separate magnetic from nonmagnetic is because the magnetic stuff is going to be harder to process in the end for the ar step and can cause some problems if not done right ( Losses of gold ). The magnetic stuff is usually some small piece of iron (Usually plated), but most times with GF it is going to be stainless or nickel (The watch caps). When you process the magnetic stuff you are going to have a WHOLE set of obstacles that will be different from the nonmagnetic stuff. GF is an animal for the novice to process in large volumes above a couple of lbs if you do have the experience or the right equipment. GF is a fly by the seat of your pants type of deal and each and every batch is different and a new learning experience. I've been doing it for years and still get surprised. Start with 1 lb at a time and work your way up. That way if you mess up a batch you only have only got to recover a lb and not 10 lbs.

The reason I refine to high purity, is because I also supply casting grain, plate, wire, laminated billets and metal clays to jewelers and metal artists. The value I add is in the production of these unique alloys and forms, which happen to be the main core of my business, allows me to sell these metals for more than spot prices. I fill a niche where traditional retailers such as Rio Grande, Hoover and Strong, Otto Frei, etc leave an opportunity for my type of work. Because I add value to my material, and because more often than not I am purchasing the metals I refine at a fraction of their spot value I am able to make a larger profit while processing less material and thus make a decent living. I don't often have any sizable amount to sell to refineries so mostly I am refining to high purity.

The last time I sold any quantity to another refiner was more than 8 months ago, and that was only 95.+ purity where there was absolutely no reason to refine to higher purity as this would have incurred additional costs.

For the last two years I have been producing my own metal art including rasing/moving laminated metals. Between my refining, my own metal art and selling to jewelers I have established working relationships I have more work than I can handle.

So to repeat what 4Metals has stated, there isn't any good reason to refine to high purity if your intent is only to sell the metals to another refiner. There might be if you are creating alloys for jewelry production or metal artists, specially where there are other metals involved in the scrap you are processing such as Cd, etc.

Scott

NobleMetalWorks said:
The reason I refine to high purity, is because I also supply casting grain, plate, wire, laminated billets and metal clays to jewelers and metal artists. The value I add is in the production of these unique alloys and forms, which happen to be the main core of my business, allows me to sell these metals for more than spot prices. I fill a niche where traditional retailers such as Rio Grande, Hoover and Strong, Otto Frei, etc leave an opportunity for my type of work.
I hear that! I've even made rose gold-filled ear wires for a friend that makes rose gold-filled chainmaille jewelry, because she can't find a steady supplier for the dang things!

Edited for actual English. :oops:

Here's one for you Scott.

Let's see some of your work shall we? I've read loads of posts from you that aren't exactly complimentary for everyone else's work but I seem to struggle to find yours. Show me what we should be striving for.

I'd be really grateful to see some pictures.

Jon

Hi dear friend ,

Did you find a proper answer for solving your problem about Gold refining ? I have a problem like your problem .

I have a gold and platinum alloy that I got it from nitric acid as powder , but it does not melt .

I gave it heat With the acetylene torch(air/acetylene) , but it didn't melt in metalic form.

when I give it high temperature, it become in the form of pasty and then when it become cold,it become glassy like carnelian but Mat, and Not metalic form . just like what you have in the pictures . my materials couldn`t have copper sulfate or base metals because I applied Nitric Acid on them for several times but when I give heat them in high temperature , they become like what you have in your pictures .

please tell me if you found a good way for solving this problem .

Thank You
Mary

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

Attachments

• pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    324.3 KB
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    315.7 KB

Latest posts