can someone take a look at my stannous test

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micronationcreation

hi, i have refined a small 9ct gold chain by first inquarting with silver, parting with nitric then finally put through ar.

i aided the digestion of the ar with bath of hot water from kettle but did not boil as glass jar would not take too much heat,

i filtered the ar which had a dark grey dust at the bottom, in picture 1.

i dropped the au with smb then stannous tested the solution, in picture 2.

the result to me looks like platinum, is this possible coming from 9ct chain?

ps, stannous made from solder which gave good result for au.DSC03870.JPGDSC03869.JPG

What is the color of the solution? if colorless or slightly tinted with blue/green, only hue, most likely it is dissolved copper left over.

your test seems to me more false positive then Pt. False positive can happen when there is still dissolved SO2 gas in the solution (from the SMB).
Try and heat the solution on low heat for 1-2 hours with occasion stirring and test again.

hi, the solution is clear, i'll try heating then test again,

when i was digesting the gold powder with ar the grey powder would like to cling together, a bit like the way au does.

what is the usual alloy used for 9ct gold?

Place a sample of the solution in a test tube and heat to drive off the excess SO2 gas and test with stannous again. You'll know the SO2 is all driven out of the solution when the strong odor stops coming from the test tube.

If you still have a positive stannous test at this point add a solid piece of copper to the solution and let it sit overnight to cement out any trace values.

Steve

Latest posts

Back