Can't get gold to dissolve

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't give up on your gold. It's a great experience to learn things when they go wrong. Like you said it was a costly lesson. Learn from it above all else. One thing i would like to clarify that Geo said and not to contradict him but, If you add more silver than you need to inquart then when you dissolve the silver out your gold won't stay in sponge form but it will break down into very fine particles of gold which will be harder to deal with.

You can heat up the dish add some borax to the dish and re-melt, when gold is real hot roll it around it the dish, to collect the gold the borax should let you pour it.

If still trouble tray a very small sprinkle of soda ash with borax.

If not enough metal in the dish maybe add a little silver as a collector

Still stuck, try boiling the dish in your used nitrate solution from the last cementing process, or solution of H2SO4.

Worst case process dish and all :lol:

Hey Palladium, give up No wayjust a mear set back :lol: one must sometimes punt the football and see where it lands. Although i like your ideal butcher - process the dish and all :lol: that way i get everything. All jokes aside i am going to follow the instruction given and learn from this experience.

I did get a small bb out of the dish and now trying to dissolve it to see if i got anything...keeping my fingers crossed. Soon it will be time for my bedtime store from CM Hoke she talking about inquarting tonight. What not to do :lol: I will prevail at this.

Ken :mrgreen:

jeneje said:
Soon it will be time for my bedtime store from CM Hoke she talking about inquarting tonight.
Oooohhh. That's a real good story! I had no idea why anyone would want to add silver to their gold until I read that one. :lol:

Then again, choosing my favorite part of her book is kind of like choosing my favorite child... My least favorites, however, were throwing gasoline on your incinerations and dumping wastes down the drain. Those ones made me sad. :cry:

Dave

the only time ive had gold stay in the shape it was is when i run just 10K in nitric. every time i inquart, it always comes out as a powder. ive learned to let everything settle for 24 hours or more anyway. i have nothing but time and patience. if i have a solution thats cloudy or murky, ill let it set for a week if thats what it takes to clear up. of course i know you cant do that when your working with someone elses material and its always better to use exact amounts whenever possible.

Geo I try to let my solutions sit, when I can, I let my reactions sit as long as it takes, by doing so I have seen more precipitate, solutions are clearer and cleaner, many reactions will take time to completely finish, I have small a jar of Platinum group metals that when I set them aside were mostly salts in solution after sitting a few weeks for gases to dissipate they are now powders of metals, it took weeks for the reactions to progress in the cold outdoors, even weeks later I would see tiny bubbles in the solution I figured would have long ago completed its reaction.

Hey guys, here is a pic of the gold i recovered from the solution so far. After decanting and filtering - it still tested positive with a dark almost black stannous test so i put the solution into flask, added some more copper and started bubbling air through it.

Sence i had so much solution to start with i dropped with copper, i figured it would be better then evaporation and denox at this point since i will re-refine.

Ken

edited for spelling and missed words :oops:

Attachments

• Droped gold.JPG
    Droped gold.JPG
    43.4 KB
  • droped gold2.JPG
    droped gold2.JPG
    45.5 KB
Here is the finial result of the 47 grams i started with less stockpot and filters. I done two water washs with boiling water so far. I am going to let dry and weigh, then re-refine to see what the copper content and drag down comes out to.

Ken

Attachments

• first_wash_47.jpg
    first_wash_47.jpg
    114.3 KB
Just looked this morning and it drying good, i think i may dry it as lazersteve has posted. I am curious to see the weight, it should be somewhere between 22 and 26 grams less the drag down. If i can manage at least 20 out of this it will give me enought for my first one once bar. I have brought a one once mold and am looking forward to my first bar :mrgreen: .

Ken

Guys i have dried the gold and to my suprise :mrgreen: 39.1grams :shock: . I have a small baby food jar 2/3 full :lol: . Here is a pic, i wonder how much i will lose when i refine the second time.

Ken

Attachments

• 39_1_grams.JPG
    39_1_grams.JPG
    52.8 KB
Am I reading this correct? You started with 47g 10-14 karat gold and got 39g pure gold from that?
Don't move, I'm sending you a kilo of 18k gold to refine, anything above a kilo of pure gold you can keep. :lol:

39g out of 47g is 19.9k, somewhere is a mistake or you still have a lot of water in your gold.
The obvious contaminant would be silver chloride in this case, but that you should have gotten out of your solution when filtering the auric chloride.

It will be interesting to see the resulting gold button.

Göran

No joke men, its dried with heat. Must be copper, i cemented with copper, i be happy with 20grams to be truthful. Unless i missed something and i don't think so. It will be interesting in knowing the finial result. I will start the second refine in the morning and then we know. I maybe :cry: or i will be :mrgreen:

Ken

Palladium said:
Did you do hcl washes or is it just raw materials after the drop?
Just raw material, all i did was boil the material twic in water palladium. I am sure it will loose alot of weight after second refinement and proper washing.
Ken

Ken using your weights and allowing the material to be 1/2k under assay you should be looking for 22 grams plus, under that you either have some values in solutions or in the system somewhere, bless that stockpot, or the items were not as marked.

Yeah if its just cemented and water rinsed it will definitely have other metals in with it. Maybe some silver, copper, and platinum group metals just to guess a few.

So Ken, what's your next step with that nice chunky powder? I'm enjoying following along with your adventure.

Thad.

Latest posts

Back