Ceramic Catalytic converter smelting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snoman701 said:
How did you smelt it? In lead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Yes pins were smelted using lead. First pins werer melted in crucible without any flux.

Once molten 100 gram lead was added and waited for lead to completely dissolve molten pins.

Lead bead was cupled in Portland cement, ans resulted in the silver bead.

Silver bead dissolved in nitric acid and solution eventhough was orange in color but was negative for Pt or Pd.

Per my last post, I smelted wires in the back of telephone boards using lead and copper dore.

After dissolving the copper from above, percipitated and melted 13 grams of silver from the wires.

I used the following system to agitate copper nitrate solution while hanging a copper rod to plate any PGMs those wires might have that causes the color change with stannous chloride.

There is a water pump on the left pumping and pushing the copper solution to the bucket while I hung the copper rod on the left.

Copper rod is small and hanging in the middle of bucket.

It has been running for few minutes now, I will give it 24 hours and see if it precipitate any black powder.

This is my first try using copper to plate out PGMs from a nitrate solution.

IMG_4606.JPG

Best regards
KJ

Hi

I had a crushed (not puvlerized) ceramic catalytic converter, I placed them in a stainless steel pot.

Filled it with dilute nitric acid, used a water pump to circulate the nitric acid.

I put the whole thing on a mini gas stove, and heat it.

Here is the pic of the system
IMG_4628.JPG

I let it run for 2 hours and checked the solution with stannous chloride testing solution, swap on the left was stannous result half and hour into stirring and heating, then the right one is at the 2 hour mark.
IMG_4626.JPG

I rinsed the solution was brown, added water to the cats started the pump and heat and let it run for another 30 minutes.

Rinsed the yellow color solution, added more water and ran the system, solution was clear andand stannous was negative.

Next day, I collected 500 ml of the rinse and main solution, as seen in following, if the volor doesnt look like palladium nitrte solution then I dont know what will,
IMG_4627.JPG

Here is the bizzare thing, I checked the 500 ml solution with stannous and got nothing no color change nothing, thinking mabye my testing solution is bad, so I made another one but still no sign of Pd ???

I tried adding DMG, got a white color percipitation but as I was filtering it dissolved into the solution.

So I really cant think of why is this??? Main solution was 3.5 liter and rinses 6.5 liters

anachronism said:
I don't understand what you mean by rinse.

The first brown solution you rinsed away?

Hi

Nitric solution after 2 hours decanted, water was added boiled and stirred then decanted to the previous solution.

The solution in the beaker was from above

I was trying to leach cermaic cats using a water pump to stir.

After the Pd failure to drop, I leached the cats using concentrated sulfuric acid for 2 hours.

I used the same stainless steel pot, let the solution stir and put it on low heat.

Here is what the cats and sulfuric solution look like the next day;
IMG_4684.JPG

This is the solution from above diluted with water to filter,
IMG_4686.JPG

This is Rh black which was percipitated from above solution using zinc powder, it is very fine compare to Pd or Pt drops,
IMG_4685.JPG

I made a mistake and didnt remove the water pump after the leaching finished, so next morning that part in the solution was dissolved.

Once I filter it I will drop the Rh black

Hi

Jason from Mt Baker mining metals just posted the following that he tries smelting cats.

https://youtu.be/cmnY41jqPGI

Latest posts

Back