Chemical content of semiconductor devices

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcel

Supporting Member
Want to share a document with you, if it is not already known.
This pdf is a comprehensive overview of the chemical content and therefore also the PMs in the semiconductor devices from Philips until 2003.
It gives the mass and the material of the bondwire, the leadframes and other components.
The type of device should give you a good hint, on what to expect, even though the parts you want to research were not produced by Philips.
Just look for similarities such as pincount, case. The names of the semiconductors are only the names of the housing! So any chip with any function, with this particular housing will have the same results! (if they are from Philips, but likely from other companies as well)

http://tec.icbuy.com/uploads/2009/10/13/75008703.pdf

More info on the naming of the housings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrated_circuit_packaging_types

This how you should use it to calculate your PM content:
- Find out the casing of your IC
- Take the one representive from the group and upscale/downscale the data.
If the sample shown is TSSOP24, that means it has 24 pins. If your IC has 48 pins but the same case, double the number and therefor the mass of the bondwire. (0,6mg x 2 = 1,2mg Au bondwire / chip ). This is not exact but should do it.

If my english is too bad or humble, please correct.

Attachments

• Philips.jpg
    Philips.jpg
    50.3 KB
Thank you! That will come in handy. I have been searching for something like this!

Hi all , how are tricks ?
I hope all is well!
Marcel , thank you for the links , theres some useful looking info there! 8)
All the best for now , and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

Excellent information. I've looked for this info before but I've never found this specific information about electronic components. Most likely I didn't look in the right places! I work in the semiconductor manufacturing industry - in fact I'm currently on contract at a fab in Germany - so I fully understand the making of a semiconductor device on a silicon wafer but I'm not very knowledgeable on the packaging of the component since that is usually accomplished in Malaysia, The Philippines, etc. so I find your links enlightening.

I'm always on the look out for more worthwhile info.

Robert

Back