clorox alternative?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oz said:
Clorox brand bleach sold in the US is indeed sodium hypochlorite, not chlorate.

As to pool chemicals, I plead the 5th.

Damn I didn't catch that part Oz thanks.

Too early and too many hours this week.

I will edit my post.

Thanks for catching that.

I did not deserve your thanks as after you replied I actually read the thread in detail and saw the comment “The pool chlorine sold at the local hardware store also known as muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid”.

Muriatic acid is indeed hydrochloric acid, but I have never heard it called pool chlorine. HCl is used by the more advanced pool chemists to lower the pH of the water from an alkaline condition. While that may free some Cl2 gas it is not being sold as a chlorinator in and of itself. In discussing pH it is only a reading of hydrogen concentration within a liquid. Generic as it is to say “pool chlorine” the products sold as such a designed to provide the dissolved Cl2 gas in the water as a disinfectant.

In reference to refining, HCl/muriatic acid in and of itself does not provide free Cl2 gas unless it is oxidized chemically or electrically to break the bond. This is the reason household bleach is added to HCl to dissolve gold. It is also why it is a commonly held belief (I disagree with that statement, but that is another story) that HCl will not dissolve gold when washing precipitates.

Yes HCL is sold as pool chlorine. I am not sure about this and not sure where he got the info from but I guess in one of his classes. The gentalmen that tought me about pools always told me not to recomend liquid chlorine for this use because over a period of time a build up of salts develops in the pool. I never researched why this happens and not totaly sure it does.

The major reason I know that muriatic acid is also used in swimming pools is the label suggests that purpose if you bother to read it. Likewise bleach also has it's chemical name on the label. :mrgreen: I'm actually surprised that this chemical difference wasn't noticed by the senior members who nearly always give excellent information.

solar seeker said:
The major reason I know that muriatic acid is also used in swimming pools is the label suggests that purpose if you bother to read it. Likewise bleach also has it's chemical name on the label. :mrgreen: I'm actually surprised that this chemical difference wasn't noticed by the senior members who nearly always give excellent information.

Which chemical difference are you referring to? chlorate/chlorite?
It possibly is here on the forum once you learn the posts.

solar seeker said:

Muriatic acid is one of the chemicals that can be used in pools for PH adjustment not to add chlorine.

http://www.poolwizard.net/problems/ph.htm

qst42know said:
solar seeker said:

Muriatic acid is one of the chemicals that can be used in pools for PH adjustment not to add chlorine.

http://www.poolwizard.net/problems/ph.htm

I guess I forgot to make that point.

Latest posts

Back