Close up of brown mud pic

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gone from Au | Cl now to brown mud .72 grams worth woohoh!
Actually going from Au | Cl to mud looks well rather disapointing, not the amount, just the color.
So I had to look at it under a microscope, looks really cool 8) .
Depending on how the light hits it...
The pic really does not do it justice, but it is the best I can do...

Attachments

• PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 287
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 287
If you place some of your brown gold precipitate on a porcelain plate a take a spoon to push down firmly on it while sliding it to make a smear you will see it turn the nice golden color you were looking for as you flatten it.

Heaven's Pavement said:
I've gone from Au | Cl now to brown mud .72 grams worth woohoh!
Actually going from Au | Cl to mud looks well rather disapointing, not the amount, just the color.
That's the nature of gold that has been precipitated. If you can look at it at the microscopic level (as you've done) you realize that it is multifaceted, thus it reflects light in all directions, making it look dark and not shiny. As Oz suggested, all it takes to get it to shine is to abrade it, or melt it, at which time it reflects light in a given direction.

Be sure to wash your recovered gold well before melting. That operation is very important in the scheme of things, and is the difference between acceptable quality and junk.

Harold

Thank you Oz and Harold for your replys.
I have read that melting it would "align" the gold to its luster state.
The pictures really do not do it justice. 8)
Harold I have read many of your comments and advice, love your attention to detail and was sad about what happened to the business you sold(putiing myself in your shoes).
I will definitly be doing several washings after I've collected more brown powder and sent an order to Steve.
I tried to be meticulous as possible for what tools I have (not much).
But am very happy with my first fruits.
Even though I have never meet any of you people face to face, your teaching has allowed me to succeed.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back