coffee filtres/residue

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello everyone quick, maybe seemingly dumb question.

what is best way to process all the residue out of old coffee filters?
inciniration? chemical? etc??

Thanks!!

It depends where I am in a process how I do it, whether the paper is wanted even if as carbon in the next step,
you can use squirt bottle and wash out powders rinse and ring out filter, add it to your stock of saved filters to process latter,
or incenerate it.
or if melting sometimes I add alcohol with a squirt bottle and burn filter before torching powder to metals,
I find myself using fiters more in the early part of refining, mainly using them to let valuble solutions disolved through them catching mainly non values, then latter in processing mostly with values in bottom not doing filtering but more decanting of dissolved non values ( a suction bulb for sucking out solution without disturbing powders works well for me)the less filtering you do for small lots the less values will get caught in them.I put old filters catagory used for junk in with next batch of junk that needs incinerated , used for high value fairly clean in filter stock of possible value to process later.

ejay said:
what is best way to process all the residue out of old coffee filters? inciniration? chemical?
A great deal depends on what you are processing, and how much you are willing to allow to be accumulated in storage. I simply incinerated and stored such things until I processed all of my waste materials by furnace. My accumulation was large, having stored my wastes for about 20 years.

If you filter gold chloride solutions that included silver chloride, chemical processing isn't in your best interest due to the presence of the silver chloride. it absorbs a fair amount of the values and is not easy to rinse well. In such an example, processing by furnace can be a good idea, where you would recover all of the values by reduction, assuming you understand good and proper fluxing procedures. The end result is much like starting with inquarted karat gold.

Filters that have been used to separate scrap that has been processed to remove base metals, resulting in gold shells, can be incinerated, with the ash added directly to the lot being processed. As long as there is no silver chloride present, very little gold would be tied up in the filter after filtration. The lack of volume of solids makes it much easier to wash down the filter.

Incineration is an important part of processing such items. It eliminates many substances that are potentially troublesome in refining, and can serve to oxidize tin so it is less troublesome in later filtration of dissolved values.

Regardless of how you deal with your filters, they should never be discarded. In spite of careful rinsing, they are inclined to hold a small amount of value, which is easily recovered. Incinerate them and save the ash in a 5 gallon bucket. When you have enough, it is worth the time to process.

Harold

Latest posts

Back