Consulting on PGM refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Steve, I just wanted to check it. The first time to my on this proces,I want to make things go as smoothly as possible. Very grateful for everything.

Hello everyone,Happy New Year to all. I continue my practice on PGM refining and here's what I came to.

Attachments

• ALIM2048.JPG
    ALIM2048.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • ALIM2064.JPG
    ALIM2064.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 122
  • ALIM2055.JPG
    ALIM2055.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • ALIM2066.JPG
    ALIM2066.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
DMG is the definitive test for Pd. Check the General Reaction list in the Guided Tour Link for details.

Steve

And again I am faced with the problem. Filtering platinum,filters washed with ammonium chloride.Everything washed with ammonium chloride to a small petri plate. When I tried to evaporate the liquid, ammonium chloride remained in the platinum powder. How can I get rid of ammonium chloride? As we can see it is quite a lot of amonius cloride in there. The same problem with palladium, but I yet have not tried evaporate.As seen in the picture, the platinum dish is even more of ammonium chloride. I must admit that I made probably more than 15-25% concentration of ammonium chloride.

Attachments

• ALIM2093.JPG
    ALIM2093.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
  • ALIM2102.JPG
    ALIM2102.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
For Pt add just enough water water at room temperature to dissolve the excess ammonium chloride and vacuum filter off the colored powder, or you could dissolve the solids in 10% HCl and precipitate the metals with zinc as described here:

Conversion of Colored PGM Salts with Zinc

or

For Pd dissolve the all of the colored solids in excess ammonia 10%, vacuum filter, and precipitate the Pd again using HCl (32%). The filter will contain base metal hydroxides and mixed PGMs other than Pd as described here:

Purifying Colored Pd Salts

Steve

Latest posts

Back