Converting PC Power supply for use with silver cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadriver

I am not an electrician or computer expert. Please be very careful.

This info is for demonstration only. If done incorrectly, then you could get electricuted or cause a fire and burn your house down!

Here is the procedure that I used and got good results:

First, I removed a pc power supply from an old computerand check the panel on the side.

The one I have uses an orange wire for 3.3 volts - this will work for the silver cell voltage.

Attachments

• P1200555a.jpg
    P1200555a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,654
Next, find the main plug. The one I have has 20 pins.

On this main connector there is a green wire.

cut this green wire, and any black (ground) wire.

I used the black wire right next to the green one.

Once both of these wire have been cut from the 20 pin connector, strip off some insulation to expose the ends of each wire - about 1/2 inch.

Then, join these two wires with a wire nut.

If you don't do this step, then the power supply will not energize when you plug it and turn it on.

Attachments

• P1200552a.jpg
    P1200552a.jpg
    791.4 KB · Views: 1,654
Try to find a power supply that has an on/off switch so you don't have to unplug it all the time to turn it off.

Attachments

• P1200554.JPG
    P1200554.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 1,652
Next, locate a DC outlet plug that has an ORANGE wire.

The orange wire is the one that will produce 3.3 volts.

Cut the orange wire and one of the black wires.

Strip the ends of each wire and install alligator clips.

I use a solid copper alligator clip to attach to the anode pole sticking out of the top of the anode basket.

The cheap nickle plate ones do not last long at all but can be used for the cathode connection.

Attachments

• P1200562a.jpg
    P1200562a.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 1,652
Here is what the wires look like when they are in use.

The orange wire carrying 3.3 volts at 28 amp goes to the adode bars on top of the cell.

The black wire goes to the cathode wire that is connected to a hard graphite block in the bottom of the cell.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• P1200563a.jpg
    P1200563a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,652
Nice post Pete.

Only one thing i can add and is important.

Once the green and black wires are connected, you have to make to sure, when you turn on the PSU (or plug it in the wall) that there is a load, meaning, you need to connect the cell before energizing it or the PSU will short and shut down permanently.

There are some types of PSU's that use their internal fan as a load, in this case, ther's no worry...

samuel-a said:
Nice post Pete.

Once the green and black wires are connected, you have to make to sure, when you turn on the PSU (or plug it in the wall) that there is a load, meaning, you need to connect the cell before energizing it or the PSU will short and shut down permanently.

There are some types of PSU's that use their internal fan as a load, in this case, ther's no worry...
Thanks samuel-a. That is the problem I was having. I could test the connection no problem with my voltmeter, but when I connected it to the cell, it would short. I will try you suggestion tonight.

kadriver for the great post!

HTPatch

samuel-a said:
Nice post Pete.

The 5 V. supply needs to have a load on it in order to work properly. I've found that a resistor in the 5- 10 K ohm range from the red to black wires,works, that way you won't have to worry about having it set up.

Well, I don't know why my power supply is not working correctly. I test the connection, and it is at 3.4v, but when I connect it to my cell, it powers down. I tried connecting it to the cell and then powering on, and I get the same thing. It tries to power up, but then powers down. maybe i need another power supply. I will try some of the other wires to see if the same happens.

Regards,
HTPatch

HTPatch said:
I test the connection, and it is at 3.4v, but when I connect it to my cell, it powers down. I tried connecting it to the cell and then powering on, and I get the same thing.

Once you powered it with no load or a resistor (as notch suggested), it will default.... but you could still get voltage readings...
I'm no electrician and don't know exactly how it works... if you can, grab another PSU, brigde it (green + black), connect your cell and then powder it up.

If the PSU was functional when removed from the tower, there's no reason why it will not work.

good luck

HTPatch said:
Well, I don't know why my power supply is not working correctly. I test the connection, and it is at 3.4v, but when I connect it to my cell, it powers down. I tried connecting it to the cell and then powering on, and I get the same thing. It tries to power up, but then powers down. maybe i need another power supply. I will try some of the other wires to see if the same happens.

Regards,
HTPatch

The Power Supply could be Current-Limiting. Try connecting it to a dummy load. A low value resistor around one Ohm or less and measure your voltage.

If it's drawing more Current than the Power Supply is designed for, it will shut down.

Geo said:
what about a 3v flashlight bulb.

Well their bright when connected to 3VDC, and come in many pretty colours. :mrgreen:

Sorry Geo, im just in one of those moods :lol:

Deano

Geo said:
what about a 3v flashlight bulb.

Not enough of a load to test, although in might be good to act as an indicator light.

An old Toaster might do in a pinch. Measure the resistance at the AC plug with the lever down. The label on the Power Supply will tell you what the Current rating is. Use that as an indicator as to how much of a load it will take before it Current Limits.
The safety features are there to protect us from ourselves.

For a load to prevent he psu shorting you can use an old cd drive,hard drive or anything similar I don't know about those old floppy drives but using one of those(cd hdd) should solve the shorting problem hope this help and I apologize for any typos I'm using my black berry to type this

winterssoul said:
For a load to prevent he psu shorting you can use an old cd drive,hard drive or anything similar I don't know about those old floppy drives but using one of those(cd hdd) should solve the shorting problem
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a DVD drive and that worked. Thanks.

One more question for anyone. To test this, I connected the PC power supply to my current silver cell. I did not remove the power supply I was using. I noticed the amount of amps doubled. Does anyone see an issue with running both of them together? The crystals appear to be growing faster and they look the same.

Thanks,
Tom

I spoke too soon. It was not because the DVD drive was connected, it was because the other power supply was running. When I shut off the other power supply, the PC power supply shorted out. I am now trying to run both of them at the same time and see what I get today.

A load is necessary on the 5 volts rail in older PC power supply(named AT and they have a start button)....the never version(named ATX ...like the one that Kadriver has...has a resistor load internally)
Another thing...if you are planning to go over 10 amps on the 3.3 volts rail it is better to use more wire...meaning more orange wires together and more black wire together ....

would the same procedures work for converting this power supply from a pc. it has 8 outlets labled P1 (20 pin), (P2 & P3), (P4 & P5), (P6 & P7 & P8) the last 3 groups seem to be connected or run from the same hot wire. my guess is there is a total of 4 hot wires coming off this unit. if i wanted to get the full 5 volts and 25 amps into one wire and not short out the unit. what steps would i take to do this and would i need to add any devices to this if i wanted to regulate the voltage?

Attachments

• power supply 2.JPG
    power supply 2.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,195
  • power supply 3.JPG
    power supply 3.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • power supply 4.JPG
    power supply 4.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 1,195

Latest posts

Back