cyanide and ferricyanide wastes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100tific

hello,
I have been reading something on the forum about cyanide and ferricyanide waste used in chemical electropolishing, or in gold extraction from minerals, but I have not found any post where it is written in detail how to dispose of this waste safely.

I spent some time researching how to do it. First, those that contain free cyanide, which are blue in color. It seems that using the hydrogen peroxide method and a copper catalyst works, but I have a problem with ferricyanides, and that is that they interfere with the potentiometric titration with silver nitrate. That is, I cannot measure them.
In order to destroy that free cyanide, I must first break down the ferricyanide into free cyanide and iron. For this I am using persulfate and UV light.
I have carried out cyclic voltammetry tests on ferricyanide to verify that I can effectively eliminate it with persulfate and UV light, but although I can lower its concentration after 10 hours of exposure to light, I cannot completely eliminate it.
Does anyone have experience with this? Could you give me some advice?
Thanks

The blue you're referring to is also known as Prussian Blue and it's used as a die. Isn't that Ferric Ferricyanide that's come from whatever they were leaching? I've not come across free cyanide in a solution presenting as a blue colour myself.

Latest posts

Back