Refining Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irvtemes

I have three questions which are related that I would like an experts answer............. If a refiner receives a lot 1000 dwt of plumb 14kt wedding bands and melts them into a bar---

question #1 --- what would the after melt weight be? #2 what would the pin sample assay at, percentage of purity? #3 when the bar is refined and the actual gold is recovered, how much will be recovered?

Edited by moderator to remove all bold text

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this answers some of your questions.
1. If the weight is lower then the assay on the bar should still produce the same amount of gold so long as the items did not have any dirt , grease , skin stones etc.
2.In the USA manufacturers are allowed I believe 1/2 karat tolerance where as in the UK there is none so I’d bet the USA bands will be below claimed assay.
3. The gold recovered depends on the skill of the refiner even the best will lose a very small amount but it should be recovered at a later date.

I have three questions which are related that I would like an experts answer............. If a refiner receives a lot 1000 dwt of plumb 14kt wedding bands and melts them into a bar---

question #1 --- what would the after melt weight be? #2 what would the pin sample assay at, percentage of purity? #3 when the bar is refined and the actual gold is recovered, how much will be recovered?

Edited by moderator to remove all bold text
Nick has answered your questions, and I have removed the all bold in your text as it is considered shouting.

question #1 --- What would the after-melt weight be? A - there always will be a melting loss as some of the base metals such as Zn, Cu, etc., will evaporate and result in melting loss ( generally it could be 1/2 Gm per 1000Gm for non-studded jewellery.
#2 what would the pin sample assay be at, percentage of purity? A- It should ideally have a minimum assay of 58.50%. If melting loss is higher, the assay should be more than 58.50%
#3 When the bar is refined and the actual gold is recovered, how much will be recovered? A - The returnable gold will be anywhere between 0.5% to 2% less than the refinery assay report depending on which one you choose to go to.

Latest posts

Back